What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

I'm on my 4th run through of this disk:

and whilst I would say I *quite* enjoy it, I find listening to a whole disk of these Sonatas in one go, to be rather hard work, and almost reach the point of relief upon the end of the 14th in a row... does anyone else feel similarly, or is this my inate keyboard/ organ aversion rearing its ugly head once more?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:I had meant to ask you earlier Jared if you are listening to all the Early Music at work and if so what kind of reaction are you getting to it?
no, this has been all at home over the past few days/ week (I spent 3 days in hospital last week with a kidney infection, and still feel as if I've been hit for 6) however there is no doubt that some of it would be highly suitable, and I may give it a try this week!
Sorry to hear that you were hospitalised Jared. I sincerely hope that you are on the mend and that you have a full and speedy recovery.

I would be interested to read of your customers' reactions (both good and bad) if you decide to play the Early Music in work.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:I'm on my 4th run through of this disk:

and whilst I would say I *quite* enjoy it, I find listening to a whole disk of these Sonatas in one go, to be rather hard work, and almost reach the point of relief upon the end of the 14th in a row... does anyone else feel similarly, or is this my inate keyboard/ organ aversion rearing its ugly head once more?
Perhaps it is the playing or the sound of the particular instrument (and yes, I am aware of Pinnock's pedigree) as I recently listened to 34 CDs of Scott Ross playing the entire 555 Sonatas almost continuously....I just could not get enough!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: Perhaps it is the playing or the sound of the particular instrument (and yes, I am aware of Pinnock's pedigree) as I recently listened to 34 CDs of Scott Ross playing the entire 555 Sonatas almost continuously....I just could not get enough!!
Would you say that you find Ross' instrument/ playing easier on the ears than Pinnocks, or do you discern little difference?
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I would be interested to read of your customers' reactions (both good and bad) if you decide to play the Early Music in work.
so would I... I may just have to try them out on it, this summer!

at present, I'm listening to:

certainly very pleasing orchestral suites, but perhaps not quite as structurally interesting as Bach's BWV 1066-69 overall...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: Perhaps it is the playing or the sound of the particular instrument (and yes, I am aware of Pinnock's pedigree) as I recently listened to 34 CDs of Scott Ross playing the entire 555 Sonatas almost continuously....I just could not get enough!!
Would you say that you find Ross' instrument/ playing easier on the ears than Pinnocks, or do you discern little difference?
I don't know TBH Jared as I have not heard Pinnock's version of any of the Sonatas. Years ago I bought a single CD of these works and I really liked them so I wanted to explore them further. The more that I read the more I seemed to be pointed in the direction of Ross. So I decided that was the set that I was going to have, but it was prohibitively expensive. I made the decision that I would not waste any money on buying any other version and finally I got to buy a new set at a very good price not so very long ago. It was worth the wait for me!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: at present, I'm listening to:

certainly very pleasing orchestral suites, but perhaps not quite as structurally interesting as Bach's BWV 1066-69 overall...
You are correct there Jared but as you say Telemann's are quite pleasing as well; and he wrote lots and lots of them as well!
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

There is some really lovely singing on this album; of particular note is the bass, one Roderick Earle.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Sung and played with real feeling and gusto; wonderful entertainment.