Hiface Experience

jkeny

Re: Hiface Experience

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Ken & welcome Amine (Slim.a),
Yes the attenuators are well worth trying & experimenting with!
Amine, there is also a review section on this site which you might be interested in having a look at. There are reviews of the MK1 & MK2 Hiface devices among other interesting reviews!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

The review of the modified Hiface has finally arrived :) http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equip ... vo_dac.htm
It compares the M2tech Evo & the Halide Bridge to the JKHiface. Remember this is the MK1 version that is being reviewed so the battery comments don't apply & are somewhat incorrect for the MK1 anyway!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nice review of the modded Hiface JK and Fran http://stereomojo.com/Modified%20HiFace ... Review.htm

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Ken,
It's Fran to thank for that - I only provided the device :)
Thanks from me Fran.
www.Ciunas.biz
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I've had the Mk2 model for over a month now and I've found it to be an improvement over the MK1. My Mk2 is also the BNC model and this allows me to connect with a BNC-BNC digital cable to the DAC1 with no little converters. I'm also using 6dB and 10dB attenuators on the digital cable. On first listening to either version the bass seems less compared with conventional transport (VRDS) but it becomes clear that the Hiface bass is clearer, stronger and more precise. For me this is important as I'm trying to get the best bass I can from a 15W valve amp. The top end is very detailed with loads of imformative micro-detail. Female voices are really something, especially a singer like Barb Jungr on 24bit 96khz. Using a laptop based system allows me to pick up hi-res material from places like HDTracks.com and also a friend was able to allow me to access over 30Gb of CD material. Overall from a quality perspective and the availability of material the modded Hiface is a superb product. Probably an ideal Christmas present !!

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Modest

Post by Modest »

Hi to all, found some info in Russian site about JKenny HiFaceMKII One member from Ukraine very pleased with the sound on JK transport. Nice to heard good words about it :)
BTW translating not matching 100%
http://translate.google.lt/translate?hl ... rmd%3Divns
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Modest, A MK3 SPDIF version & DAC version have since been released. First reports back on the MK3 (although Fran has heard it)
...What you want in a converter is not to be able to discern a sound signature. It should be entirely transparent and let the DAC shine...which is what the MK3 does. .....

It's fast, detailed, revealing, very open, noiseless/black, delicate and all this without a hint of harshness. I can't find any flaws with it. I can't give it any higher praise because up till now, that has happened with only a handful of the best equipment I've owned.

I also like the fact that the build is more professional and the jacks are finally all at the back in one place. Makes wiring neater and more convenient.
I'm hoping that reviews on the DAC will be appearing soon.

Maybe next a DAC with balanced out analogues & DAC with Headphone outs (possibly balanced)
What would inmates think? Would there be a general interest in these?
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

First "in the field" end-user report on the DAC here http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthr ... post557351
www.Ciunas.biz
Claus

Post by Claus »

As I am at home for the summer with the kids, I am currently "reduced" to a lot of headphone listening and would be very interested in an improved listening experience straight from my MacBook laptop. Please feel free to PM me!
Thanks!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sure, Claus, PM sent.

Some further reports:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?to ... #msg968970
Just for the heck of it it tried connecting it directly to my Patek amp and used the volume control in Pure Music or Itunes. Holey crap - everything improved - detail, sound-stage, life - everything. Once you hear this no going back - direct connection is the way to go. Anyway decided the comparison with the other DAC's needed to be done again so contacted my acquaintance who had arrived back and headed on over for another comparison.
The JK is not a total giant killer - but it took a DAC three times the price to do it - and you also need a pre-amp. This SE was also the DAC that along with the Overdrive wowed them at the last RMAF - so that it took a DAC like that to best the JK Saber is again a fine showing. Next was a base level PDX - and yes it was better again - more life like and a real joy to listen to - but it was $2.7k - again much more expensive.

My new DAC ordering is Tranquility, JK Saber, Tranquility SE, PDX, Killer.

At $650-700 depending on the exchange rate this DAC is simply stupid good value for what you get. And direct connecting it to your amp will save money as well.
www.Ciunas.biz