What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:When it comes to Solti and von Karajan I don't pay too much attention to the negative comments from those on CMG.
That is what I like....a man of conviction!!!
Some people have even accused me of being opinionated, but yes, I prefer "a man of conviction."
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:When it comes to Solti and von Karajan I don't pay too much attention to the negative comments from those on CMG.
I noticed that alright particulary in the case of HvK. At least we're all in agreement on Simon Rattle with the BPO. :-) Incidentally, the Mahler section in Tower in choc full of Rattle recordings. I asked the guy there why and he said he doesnt really know Mahler much at all. I suggested some conductors/cycles that would be worth getting in. Hopefully he listened!
Was that the young guy with the beard, Andrew? He's the most knowledgeable and that's not really saying much.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:Was that the young guy with the beard, Andrew? He's the most knowledgeable and that's not really saying much.
Yes, that's him. I think he's the only one there with any sort of decent knowledge of classical music.

They've thinned out their stock too over the last week but still plenty of new recordings appearing in the middle shelf in front of the till.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:Was that the young guy with the beard, Andrew? He's the most knowledgeable and that's not really saying much.
Yes, that's him. I think he's the only one there with any sort of decent knowledge of classical music.

They've thinned out their stock too over the last week but still plenty of new recordings appearing in the middle shelf in front of the till.
I haven't visited Tower for awhile now. I hope to go in on Paddy's day. A few months ago there was a guy working in the classical section he was only there for the day and he was a real pleasure to deal with: hugely knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic. I had forgotten what it was like to actually talk to someone like that in a music shop. He recommended the Tafelmusik Haydn set to me and was, later that week, flying to Europe to a Harnoncourt concert.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
That is what I like....a man of conviction!!!
Some people have even accused me of being opinionated, but yes, I prefer "a man of conviction."
You know how much I strive to be tactful and diplomatic!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote:

I haven't visited Tower for awhile now. I hope to go in on Paddy's day. A few months ago there was a guy working in the classical section he was only there for the day and he was a real pleasure to deal with: hugely knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic. I had forgotten what it was like to actually talk to someone like that in a music shop. He recommended the Tafelmusik Haydn set to me and was, later that week, flying to Europe to a Harnoncourt concert.
I have often wondered who actually makes the decision on what stock to buy in Tower. Are they loading up the Brilliant shelves because they are cheap (nothing wrong with that in itself and they have some fine recordings too) and are they just taking the populist route e.g. Rattle/BPO? I rarely go in now because of the stock situation.
I must say that I also went looking for the classical music section in HMV about four or five weeks ago. I did not realise that they had taken it down to the ground floor now and when I did eventually find it I just stood there in amazement, listened to what was going on around me and then promptly walked out!!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:I have often wondered who actually makes the decision on what stock to buy in Tower. Are they loading up the Brilliant shelves because they are cheap (nothing wrong with that in itself and they have some fine recordings too) and are they just taking the populist route e.g. Rattle/BPO?
While the Brilliant Classics section has increased they are still getting in a lot of new recordings, stuff that has been recorded in recent years too so I wouldnt say that they they are going down the populist route.
fergus wrote: I must say that I also went looking for the classical music section in HMV about four or five weeks ago. I did not realise that they had taken it down to the ground floor now and when I did eventually find it I just stood there in amazement, listened to what was going on around me and then promptly walked out!!!
It has been on the ground floor for at least a year now and comprises mostly of 'Classic FM' compilations and stuff like Il Divo and Katherine Jenkins recordings. Even if you manage to find somthing interesting it's usually far more expensive than Tower. Not worth the effort going in there to be honest.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Symphonies 5 & 6 Cluytens....

No. 5 is another very “determined” i.e. purposeful performance with some lovely brass.
In No. 6 the tone set in the cycle so far changes completely as the touch is much softer and more delicate, tender even. The tempo, tone and dynamics are all taken up a notch in the third movement as we witness the peasants’ merrymaking. In the storm scene and the final movement which is some of my favourite passages in classical music, is really excellently played.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:I had never heard of the Cluyten's set until you mentioned it....
Just to put the Cluytens recordings into context Seán they were apparently recorded between 1957 and 1960 which was just before HvK took full control of the BPO and produced his own famous cycle.
I intend to do a head to head comparison for my own benefit later this year to compare the Cluytens and von Karajan cycles, which should be interesting.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:While the Brilliant Classics section has increased they are still getting in a lot of new recordings, stuff that has been recorded in recent years too so I wouldnt say that they they are going down the populist route.....
Glad to hear that Dave as we should have at least one decent Classical Music shop in the city.
DaveF wrote:
It has been on the ground floor for at least a year now....
Just shows you how long it has been since I have been in there.....an exercise not to be repeated in the near future!!