Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Nope, never saw the movie - must look out for it. I like them, have nearly all the stuff on vinyl. Would love to see them play......

Here's the 1929 (silent) movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2sOtF1 ... ata_player
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

ooh, excellent! I'll watch that later when I get home.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:ooh, excellent! I'll watch that later when I get home.

Fran
You can even cue up the music too ;-) But to tell the truth it doesn't need music at all, at all....
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

ImageImage
mick

Post by mick »

Mostly Autumn prog rock masterpiece
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Image
that's a old favourite of mine.... I ignored it for years after its release as Clapton had become a tad dull but a guy fitting a kitchen in our house RAVED about it (he was an ex-roadie and session guitarist) so I gave it a listen. Great album. Probably Clapton's last genuinely good album as Simon Climie (remember Climie Fisher?) took over production and everything was drum machine and pro-tools after that. Would love a copy on vinyl.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: Image
that's a old favourite of mine.... I ignored it for years after its release as Clapton had become a tad dull but a guy fitting a kitchen in our house RAVED about it (he was an ex-roadie and session guitarist) so I gave it a listen. Great album. Probably Clapton's last genuinely good album as Simon Climie (remember Climie Fisher?) took over production and everything was drum machine and pro-tools after that. Would love a copy on vinyl.
Well,well,well! Nice to know somebody appreciates this album! Everything you've said above is absolutely spot on :-) I only got as far as the second track (Third Degree) last night when I was rudely interrupted and I could have sworn I was listening to Peter Green! Will keep an eye out for a copy on vinyl for you....but you'll be waiting as I've never seen a copy and apparently it's a rare beast :-(
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

I only got as far as the second track (Third Degree) last night when I was rudely interrupted ...
Attachments
cycle.PNG
cycle.PNG (49.54 KiB) Viewed 664 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

The odd thing about "From the Cradle" was that while Clapton was always considered blues guitarist this was, in 1994, his first real blues album. It was recorded live in the studio on two track stereo with only minor overdubs on percussion. Everything else is recorded in one live take. Having musicians such as Jim Keltner on Drums, Andy Fairweather-Low on Guitar, Jerry Portnoy on Harmonica and many many more great players gives the album a genuine live "Blues session" feel. Clapton did go on to make several more ostensibly 'blues' albums but as mentioned in a previous post the production was flat, sterile, cold and completely unsympathetic to blues.
The track listing reflects the album title being some of the great 'standards' of impromptu blues jams.

1."Blues Before Sunrise" (Leroy Carr)
2."Third Degree" (Eddie Boyd/Willie Dixon)
3."Reconsider Baby" (Lowell Fulson)
4."Hoochie Coochie Man" (Willie Dixon)
5."Five Long Years" (Eddie Boyd)
6."I'm Tore Down" (Sonny Thompson)
7."How Long Blues" (Leroy Carr)
8."Goin' Away Baby" (James A. Lane)
9."Blues Leave Me Alone" (James A. Lane)
10."Sinner's Prayer" (Lowell Fulson/Glenn)
11."Motherless Child" (Robert Hicks)
12."It Hurts Me Too" (Elmore James)
13."Someday After a While (You'll Be Sorry)" (Freddie King/Sonny Thompson)
14."Standin' Round Crying" (McKinley Morganfield)
15."Driftin'" (Brown/Johnny Moore/Williams)
16."Groaning the Blues" (Willie Dixon)

Highly recommended if you ever come across it in any format!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable