What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

on LP.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:on LP.

Dave, I hope that you are enjoying the Schubert performance by the Quartetto Italiano. I have listened to that perfomance on CD of Death and the Maiden at least twice a day over the past week or more, it is stunningly good. It is one of my finds of 2011. In fact I would be very interested to learn of what both you and and Ciaran's think of that particular recording.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote:on LP.

Dave, I hope that you are enjoying the Schubert performance by the Quartetto Italiano. I have listened to that perfomance on CD of Death and the Maiden at least twice a day over the past week or more, it is stunningly good. It is one of my finds of 2011. In fact I would be very interested to learn of what both you and and Ciaran's think of that particular recording.
It's a stunning recording and performance alright. I wasnt expecting the playing to be as bold and assertive as it was. It was similar to the Takacs Quartet approach to my ears anyway. The Takacs Quartet performance of the same piece just edges it though in my opinion. It's well worth seeking out and its cheap nowadays.
I also have the above by the Melos Quartet on LP. I havent listened to it yet but I did get their Janacek String Quartets a few years ago and I thought it was stunning.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:It's a stunning recording and performance alright. I wasnt expecting the playing to be as bold and assertive as it was. It was similar to the Takacs Quartet approach to my ears anyway. The Takacs Quartet performance of the same piece just edges it though in my opinion. It's well worth seeking out and its cheap nowadays.
I also have the above by the Melos Quartet on LP. I havent listened to it yet but I did get their Janacek String Quartets a few years ago and I thought it was stunning.
Thanks Dave, I did put the Takác Schubert recording in my Amazon basket as a result of your recent recommendation. I would be very interested to learn what you make of the Melos performance too because their complete Schubert SQ cycle is currently available on Amazon and I am tempted to get a copy of it but I know nothing about them.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphonies 1 & 2

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
I have not heard that particular CD Dave but I really like those two works!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

No. 8....Another very good performance with lovely playing in the slow sections.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Cantata BWV199....This is a beautiful cantata for soprano with two movements containing wonderful accompanying oboe parts.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On Lp

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Nice performances but for me the harpsichord sounded a bit too thin in the background. I do prefer a heavier sounding harpsichord like in Staier's recent JS Bach Goldberg Variations.