Looking for a new pair of speakers...

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
cybot

Re: Looking for a new pair of speakers...

Post by cybot »

Good sensible advice Simon but are we a sensible lot? ;-) However if sdiesel can answer the usual questions (if he really wants to) then he's half way there....BTW interesting thoughts on the System Audios and PMCs...
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Hi Diapason,

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing really bad with my B&W! :)

It is just that I have recently heard a pair of other speakers (Spendor A5) with a valve amp that had amazing and detailed bass. For the sound that I am looking for, I prefer the medium and the 3D effect of my B&W but the bass sounded a lot better on the Spendor according to me.

And yes, that's what's happening when you listen to something you like better, then you want to have the same at home. lol

So now, I know that what I have at home is really good but that I can (according to my taste) have better for a bit more money.... I guess this illness is probably affecting most of us :P
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yep, it's just as I thought. You're buggered!!

This is a feeling I know well...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:sdiesel: tell us again what is the rest of your system?

You could also talk to Kronos. Don't know about equipment loans, but they might have other options on the speakers.

fran
they have a good selection of speakers there, both new and S/H.
sdiesel77 could always bring amp and source to the shop in Dungannon and try a few speakers in situ.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Earlier post suggested trying System Audios. I have a pair of 1530's which I think are really nice but I reckon the Spendor a5's you heard are better in my humble opinion.You will get a pair of them secondhand in the uk (ebay or hifi shops) for prices around €900-1100. A6's the next ones up you will get secondhand for around €1400-1800 which again are well within your range. Cloney stock spendor and SA so you can easily try them out .They also have B&W so you will get a good comparison. Not sure where you are but you can try my SA's if you want.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Its hard to know what to do in this situation!

I think if I was in your shoes I would like to hear my amp with a range of speakers, and maybe other amps with those same speakers as well. I know thats difficult to do!!

That would give you a very good idea of how your amp performs with a few different speakers, plus the comparative performance of your amp vs other amps with those same speakers.

If you want to bring your amp & source and have a listen to my horns, feel free to pm me if you want. Other than that, maybe the best route is to contact either of the shops and see would they be OK with you bringing your amp and source along sometime.

Also, have a look about on the internet and see what others who have the same amp are using.

I'll tell you one thing though, €2k should get you a fabulous set of speakers, esp secondhand. If I was using that €2k I'd expect to get something really shit hot!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

tony wrote:Earlier post suggested trying System Audios. I have a pair of 1530's which I think are really nice but I reckon the Spendor a5's you heard are better in my humble opinion.You will get a pair of them secondhand in the uk (ebay or hifi shops) for prices around €900-1100. A6's the next ones up you will get secondhand for around €1400-1800 which again are well within your range. Cloney stock spendor and SA so you can easily try them out .They also have B&W so you will get a good comparison. Not sure where you are but you can try my SA's if you want.
Hi Tony,

I have had the opportunity to try the 1530's with my amp and I have to say that although they're nice speakers, I didn't find them as good as I would have expected...

I have never heard the A6 so it would be good indeed to try them :)
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Fran wrote:Its hard to know what to do in this situation!

I think if I was in your shoes I would like to hear my amp with a range of speakers, and maybe other amps with those same speakers as well. I know thats difficult to do!!

That would give you a very good idea of how your amp performs with a few different speakers, plus the comparative performance of your amp vs other amps with those same speakers.

If you want to bring your amp & source and have a listen to my horns, feel free to pm me if you want. Other than that, maybe the best route is to contact either of the shops and see would they be OK with you bringing your amp and source along sometime.

Also, have a look about on the internet and see what others who have the same amp are using.

I'll tell you one thing though, €2k should get you a fabulous set of speakers, esp secondhand. If I was using that €2k I'd expect to get something really shit hot!

Fran

Hey Fran,

You're exactly right, I think it might take me a while before I find the "perfect sound" according to me!

What brand/model are your horn speakers?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I made them myself, they are a nagaoka style folded horn. Big mouthful I know, but if you do a search for "sachiko horns" then you will see the idea.

Scroll down on this page and you will see more:

http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn.html

Beware that these are more sensitive than normal speakers, so if there is any hum etc from your amp, you will hear it....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

There are lots of great speakers out there but if you have the space I would recommend those 801's in Cloneys. Might have to stretch the budget a bit but the 801 is a fantastic speaker, 15" bass driver really moves, but the top end and mid range are all there.

Condsidering those speakers new are around 16K or higher, picking them up for 3.4K is a good bargain.
Let the Good Times Roll...................