Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:
Seán wrote: Franz Schumann
Piano Quintet
Piano Quartet

Beaux Arts Trio with
Dolf Bettelheim Violin
Samuel Rhodes Viola
what are you making of those performances collectively, Sean?
I really like them, and if I had to single out one piece in particular I might say that the quintet is marvelous.
absolutely, the Quintet is the gem amongst jewels... to me, it portrays an overflowing radiance and optimism; a bouyancy which I don't seem to be able to detect in many of his other works...
Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:I really like them, and if I had to single out one piece in particular I might say that the quintet is marvelous.
absolutely, the Quintet is the gem amongst jewels... to me, it portrays an overflowing radiance and optimism; a bouyancy which I don't seem to be able to detect in many of his other works...
I love Kreisleriana and some of his other piano works too. His symphonies are fine and Mahler probably improved them.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Nos. 6 & 7....No. 7 was a beautiful, magnificent yet unsentimental version that was sumptuously played; a real stand out performance.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphonies 5 & 7

I've listened to all the symphonies from this set over the last few days. For the most part, I've enjoyed most of the performances although symphonies 3 & 6 didnt really do much for me and I had the same problem on the Jarvi set also.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ Dave, you might consider trying the Blomstedt set; he is a very strong interpreter of Sibelius & Neilsen.. others also rate Berglund, Vanska & Segerstam highly, aswell...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:^^ Dave, you might consider trying the Blomstedt set; he is a very strong interpreter of Sibelius & Neilsen.. others also rate Berglund, Vanska & Segerstam highly, aswell...
Thanks Jared. Blomstedt and Vanska are already and the list.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

BIS have finally brought out Volume 12 of the Sibelius Edition, which has the excellent cycle of the symphonies with the Lahti SO under Vänskä, including both versions of the 5th and also a disc of draft versions with a different conductor. Wish I'd held off until now!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On LP.....

Nice performances but the sound is a bit muffled. Apparently the EMI transfers were not good as they could have been and other transfers such as Dante set is the one to go for but it seems that it's discontinued now???
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Symphonies 5 & 7

I've listened to all the symphonies from this set over the last few days. For the most part, I've enjoyed most of the performances although symphonies 3 & 6 didnt really do much for me and I had the same problem on the Jarvi set also.
Interesting Dave, as I liked those two performances especially the third so, as you say, perhaps the music just has not grabbed you yet.
I also plan to get the Blomstedt versions.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I finished listening to this set with the String Quartets Op. 131, Op. 132 & Op. 135