Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Haven't heard it but will keep an eye out for it now...... ta for that!

You're welcome Fran :-) But remember what I said....and avoid the second volume of remixes that came out three years later.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:.... Seán...you're not the first I've come across who doesn't like In A Silent Way. I'm sure it was viewed as a radical record when it came out first. But then Miles set the trends for the rest to follow. The space and peace in that record gets me every time. As for the sound (note:not the playing!) of McLaughlin's guitar.....BLISS.
Please don't get me wrong Dermot, I do like 'In a Silent Way', it wouldn't make my top ten that's all. For the record Miles Davis music-making was second only to Duke Ellington's in my affections. That said, I really dislike 'On the Corner' and all that followed. Bitches Brew was the last of of his great albums in my view/affections/opinion.
I am delighted that there are several people here who also enjoy listening to Miles Davis music.
It's funny you say you don't like the album OTC and all that followed because as I said the bits I did listen to on the Panthalasa project after the In A Silent Way remix didn't do it for me at all. That's why I didn't check out the albums at the time. Bitches Brew is amazing. Anyway Seán if you were asked to come up with a ten album Miles Davis primer what would you recommend?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Love it !
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

514bFksiL1L._SS500_.jpg
514bFksiL1L._SS500_.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 753 times
cybot wrote:
Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:.... Seán...you're not the first I've come across who doesn't like In A Silent Way. I'm sure it was viewed as a radical record when it came out first. But then Miles set the trends for the rest to follow. The space and peace in that record gets me every time. As for the sound (note:not the playing!) of McLaughlin's guitar.....BLISS.
Please don't get me wrong Dermot, I do like 'In a Silent Way', it wouldn't make my top ten that's all. For the record Miles Davis music-making was second only to Duke Ellington's in my affections. That said, I really dislike 'On the Corner' and all that followed. Bitches Brew was the last of of his great albums in my view/affections/opinion.
I am delighted that there are several people here who also enjoy listening to Miles Davis music.
It's funny you say you don't like the album OTC and all that followed because as I said the bits I did listen to on the Panthalasa project after the In A Silent Way remix didn't do it for me at all. That's why I didn't check out the albums at the time. Bitches Brew is amazing. Anyway Seán if you were asked to come up with a ten album Miles Davis primer what would you recommend?
This 3 CD set is widely available and excellent value. Nice recordings too.
A great way to get to hear much Miles ....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:Image
Where do you get them? Great find :-)
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Lovely Saturday night/Sunday morning music ...
Attachments
superd_1230582.jpg
superd_1230582.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gerry D wrote:Lovely Saturday night/Sunday morning music ...
It's lovely anytime.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

From Jazzwise ...
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil - Blue Note
Wayne Shorter (ts), Freddie Hubbard (t), Herbie Hancock (p), Ron Carter (b) and Elvin Jones (d). Rec. 1964

Recorded a few months into his stint with Miles, this date finds Shorter on the cusp of his mature compositional and improvisatory styles and in the congenial company of Hancock and Carter, with Elvin Jones keeping it honest at the back and Hubbard providing his usual perfect foil at the front. In a sense this is Shorter’s essay on groove, but his angularity never makes it likely that the whole album would attain that ineffable level, or that he’d even want that. Herbie, of course, would do it without him a few months later on Maiden Voyage. So? Vive le difference, we say…
This is one of my favourite jazz albums.
Attachments
albumcoverWayneShorter-SpeakNoEvil.jpg
albumcoverWayneShorter-SpeakNoEvil.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 706 times
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try