Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
JAW

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:Got this recently after reading the review on Hi-Fi World. It's a 4 Lp set and beautifully done too by the vinyl lovers label... Hard to believe that it was actually Peter Green's final concert with the band even though he stood in for them when they were stuck at a later date.It wasn't to be the same ever again though as we only too well know... Usless aside: The set arrived from Diverse on the exact same date as the original concert only 40 years later?!?!? Spooky or what...

Is it good? I got this a while ago and it was disappointing.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Is it good? I got this a while ago and it was disappointing.

Image[/quote]

That's a hard one to answer JAW; all I will say is that of all the previous vinyl versions I've owned over the years this is definitely the best one. Having said that I'll be brutally honest and say it's really only for completists as there's a lot of filler and not enough Greeny.Also I love the refreshingly honest sleeve notes and the album's centrepiece, a newly found, intense 11 minute slow blues cover of 'If You Let Me Love You'(B.B King) performed by Greeny where for once the band give him ample room to breath....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Prompted by my recent success in the Guess the LP thread I gave this one a listen again tonight....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

CD review (Dave - Road Records)ROSE, JACK - LUCK IN THE VALLEY
jack rose is a fairly legendary acoustic guitar picker, around here anyway, and this is his tenth full length solo album. he very sadly passed away recently and this here album, which was finished before he died, is the third in what he calls the ditch trilogy. the previous two in the triology were dr ragtime & his pals and jack rose & the black twig pickers. this album features the black twig pickers again along with glenn jones, harmonica dan and hans chew. the album comes presented in a lovely miniature vinyl style gatefold sleeve. its a truly fantastic collection of ten rustic old folk songs featuring some truly expeptional slide guitar action and fast paced acoustic guitar picking. you know it would be hard to review this without at least one mention of the sounds of john fahey, rose keeps things to a much more traditional style though with less emphasis on the avant garde. hypnotic and meditative, quite simply superb. february 2010
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:Image

CD review (Dave - Road Records)ROSE, JACK - LUCK IN THE VALLEY
jack rose is a fairly legendary acoustic guitar picker, around here anyway, and this is his tenth full length solo album. he very sadly passed away recently and this here album, which was finished before he died, is the third in what he calls the ditch trilogy. the previous two in the triology were dr ragtime & his pals and jack rose & the black twig pickers. this album features the black twig pickers again along with glenn jones, harmonica dan and hans chew. the album comes presented in a lovely miniature vinyl style gatefold sleeve. its a truly fantastic collection of ten rustic old folk songs featuring some truly expeptional slide guitar action and fast paced acoustic guitar picking. you know it would be hard to review this without at least one mention of the sounds of john fahey, rose keeps things to a much more traditional style though with less emphasis on the avant garde. hypnotic and meditative, quite simply superb. february 2010
I bought this in Road on vinyl a few weeks back (it also comes with a decent 320kbs digital download) and I'm lovin' it. I do find it a bit worthy and self-important... like these guys knew they were recording something significant, but there's some great guirar pickin' goin' on here too.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Hello Ivor. Don't worry I got the vinyl edition too! You're right, it is a marvellous Lp and the free high q download is just another example of doing it properly. BTW did you notice on the inner sleeve a contact email/ address, I can't remember, for future gigs!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: BTW did you notice on the inner sleeve a contact email/ address, I can't remember, for future gigs!
I didn't... but since Jack died a while back I don't know if I'd want to go to his gigs!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: BTW did you notice on the inner sleeve a contact email/ address, I can't remember, for future gigs!
I didn't... but since Jack died a while back I don't know if I'd want to go to his gigs!
That's what I meant! So we have a bit of a collector's item on our hands! Hard to believe he was only 38. He'll be missed...
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thats my favourite Clapton Fergus. Theres a great vide off that album.

My fare tonight:

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try