Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Fran »

It'd be in my top ten along with sketches of Spain, coltrane ballads and a few more. I'm not the most adventurous jazz fan ever but those I do love.....
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:
Fran wrote:Image
Whoopieeeeeee! Top five stuff there :-))))
For some perhaps, but not for me.

My over enthusiastic and infectious love of the music of sound gets the better of me.....again :-(
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:It'd be in my top ten along with sketches of Spain, coltrane ballads and a few more. I'm not the most adventurous jazz fan ever but those I do love.....

No need to apologise Fran! Have you ever heard this one?

Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Took this medicine last night ...
Vinyl is good for you !
Attachments
1218226932_cover.jpg
1218226932_cover.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 542 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
cybot

Post by cybot »

Gerry D wrote:Took this medicine last night ...
Vinyl is good for you !

:-))))))
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:My over enthusiastic and infectious love of the music of sound gets the better of me.....again :-(
Not at all Dermot, you know what you love to listen to and that's what's important. I was merely saying that 'In a Silent Way', is not one of my favourite jazz or even Miles Davis recordings. We need smileys, me thinks.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:My over enthusiastic and infectious love of the music of sound gets the better of me.....again :-(
Not at all Dermot, you know what you love to listen to and that's what's important. I was merely saying that 'In a Silent Way', is not one of my favourite jazz or even Miles Davis recordings. We need smileys, me thinks.
I would agree with you there Seán! Anyway you're not the first I've come across who doesn't like In A Silent Way. I'm sure it was viewed as a radical record when it came out first. But then Miles set the trends for the rest to follow. The space and peace in that record gets me every time. As for the sound (note:not the playing!) of McLaughlin's guitar.....BLISS.

Also on the Panthalasa album Bill Laswell does a beautifully understated remix of In A Silent Way which restores some missing octaves and generally sounds fuller and even more beautiful. If you were to ask me what tracks were on the rest of this double vinyl copy I wouldn't be able to tell you as I've never got past In A Silent Way!!! 15 minutes of sheer magic...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Going to make myself get past IASW this time :-)

Newly restored performances and never before heard extended themes from
In A Silent Way, On The Corner and Get Up With It.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Haven't heard it but will keep an eye out for it now...... ta for that!
Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:.... Seán...you're not the first I've come across who doesn't like In A Silent Way. I'm sure it was viewed as a radical record when it came out first. But then Miles set the trends for the rest to follow. The space and peace in that record gets me every time. As for the sound (note:not the playing!) of McLaughlin's guitar.....BLISS.
Please don't get me wrong Dermot, I do like 'In a Silent Way', it wouldn't make my top ten that's all. For the record Miles Davis music-making was second only to Duke Ellington's in my affections. That said, I really dislike 'On the Corner' and all that followed. Bitches Brew was the last of of his great albums in my view/affections/opinion.
I am delighted that there are several people here who also enjoy listening to Miles Davis music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler