Dún Laoghaire Summer Organ Concert Series 2011.

fergus

Dún Laoghaire Summer Organ Concert Series 2011.

Post by fergus »

Simon has given us the following link to this year’s Dún Laoghaire Summer Organ Concert Series.

Although the details of the contents of each programme has not yet been posted I was wondering, Simon, if there were any of the listed organists that one should make a special effort to hear in this particular line-up?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Re: Dún Laoghaire Summer Organ Concert Series 2011.

Post by Diapason »

I actually have some of the programmes on my computer in work, so I'll have a look to see which stand out. Without knowing that, David Titterington and David Adams would be obvious choices. A few of the names are unfamiliar to me so I'll get back to you.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I actually have some of the programmes on my computer in work, so I'll have a look to see which stand out. Without knowing that, David Titterington and David Adams would be obvious choices. A few of the names are unfamiliar to me so I'll get back to you.
Thank you for that Simon.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Jared, you can buy a season ticket to all concerts for €100. Good value for those, like yourself, who'll attend all dates...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
fergus

Post by fergus »

Good suggestion, Simon....Jared had crossed my mind as well!!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've had a look at most of the programmes and, it has to be said, it's quite an unusual year. There's an awful lot of early-Baroque music, a fair chunk of modern music, and not so much in between. I assumed it'd be wall-to-wall Liszt and Alain (important anniversaries) but they're not as well-represented as I expected. Even compared to a "normal" year, there's a dearth of Buxtehude, for example (you can decide whether that's a good thing or not!)

So, given that it's always hard to say in advance which will be good anyway, and coupled with the fact that I don't know many of the performers, nor a huge number of the works being played, it's even more difficult than usual to highlight the obvious stand-outs. That said, I'd definitely consider the "organ plus" concerts:

July 10: Carole O'Connor (organ), Anne-Marie O'Farrell (harp), Roger Moffatt (percussion)
July 24: Malcolm Proud (organ), Roisin O'Grady (soprano).

These concerts also have the advantage of having interesting-looking programmes.

For the recitals, I'd stand by my early suggestions of

September 4: David Adams (he closes the series every year, it's generally the highlight.)
June 19: David Titterington (a very famous organist, here as a juror for the organ competition, playing lots of interesting looking early music mixed in with a few 20th Century pieces.)

and throw in

August 21: Stuart Nicholson (organist of St. Patrick's Cathedral, meant to be good, playing a varied programme including the eye-catching "Kiwi Fireworks: Variations on God defend New Zealand" by Paul Spicer.)

I'm expecting lots of other enjoyable recitals, and it should be said that the Irish performers often to a fantastic job compared to the international players, and deliver more enjoyable recitals.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you for that Simon....I appreciate it.

I must say one that interests me is the Malcolm Proud concert as I have heard him on many occasions over the years playing harpsichord but never the organ; I did not even know that he played the instrument!
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Jared, you can buy a season ticket to all concerts for €100. Good value for those, like yourself, who'll attend all dates...
Organ or not, it would be well worth the 100 Euros (try as I might, I can't find a 'euro' sign on my keyboard... (?) ) just to skip across the Irish Sea and meet all you fine fellas sometime.. ;-))
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Brief update: the new series has been launched on the website, and details for the first few concerts are online:

http://www.dunlaoghaireorganconcerts.ie/current
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you for that Simon.