Recent Purchases

Jared

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:I like McCreesh Jared....enjoy your last purchase for a while!!!
Fergus, I REALLY do have to tighten the purse strings now... but I'm like a small child in a sweetie shop at the moment, and Paul jolly well isn't helping matters!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

I love Emil Gilel's playing, so I got this:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:I like McCreesh Jared....enjoy your last purchase for a while!!!
Fergus, I REALLY do have to tighten the purse strings now... but I'm like a small child in a sweetie shop at the moment, and Paul jolly well isn't helping matters!!
He sure does have that effect on things around here....be assured though that, as you have seen yourself, his recommendations are top drawer!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:I love Emil Gilel's playing, so I got this
Looks like an excellent purchase, Sean...
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image
that's an intriguing disk, Fergus. I was wondering (probably a stupid question) but just how accurately can we recreate instrumental from the 1400's? is the msuic recorded carefully in manuscripts in a similar style/ notation to that which we know today? and, how familiar are we with the instruments which they played, and the sounds emaniating from them?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
that's an intriguing disk, Fergus. I was wondering (probably a stupid question) but just how accurately can we recreate instrumental from the 1400's? is the msuic recorded carefully in manuscripts in a similar style/ notation to that which we know today? and, how familiar are we with the instruments which they played, and the sounds emaniating from them?
I am no expert here Jared but I too find this music both fascinating and intruiging. There would appear to be some notation for music of this period but the big issue is HIP performance....how did the music actually sound? They can recreate the instruments from samples that have survived and from the many pictorial representations that exist from the period....how many paintings have you seen containing angels having a session in the heavenly firmament! The instruments would be the forerunners of the harp, lute, flute, keyboard and some form of percussion but how the original instruments were played and actually sounded is the question. Personally I love the textures and sonoroties recreated on discs like this one....it is a far cry from a Mahler symphony but here is essentially where it all started and I like that aspect of it as well.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ yes, I don't have any instrumental music going quite that far back; it'll certainly be inteesting to hear some. I have the Monteverdi: 1610 of course, which has a variety of sackbutts and dulcimers, which had disappeared from the orchestra by the time of his 1643 Vespers at the end of his life... but nothing earlier...
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have a number of that kind of Naxos disc in my collection.....I will let you know what I think of this particular one when I get around to listening to it.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Good friend of mine has an excellent disc of music from the crusades. Incredible to hear music from the 12th century! (I love that kind of stuff.)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2