Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Pardon my ignorance Dermot but who or what is that one?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Followed by this....

cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:Pardon my ignorance Dermot but who or what is that one?
That Fergus is an expanded image of 'Closer' by Joy Division.Released just after their lead singer Ian Curtis had committed suicide....
cybot

Post by cybot »

With a little light relief supplied by Rory and his little band :-)

sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

THE CLASH ! :D
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
cybot

Post by cybot »

sdiesel77 wrote:Image

Always loved that cover!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Back to the old roots again! I can clearly remember the first time I heard this, my first exposure to Genesis; I had just returned from a dinner dance (remember them?) in the early hours of the morning and a reel to reel was waiting for me in the sitting room - sorry I couldn't resist that ;-) I had earlier asked a friend of mine to pick up the reel from the local record shop who used to record stuff for me - one punt a pop! I couldn't believe my tired teenage ears when I stuck on the reel! Here was a whole 'nother dimension for me; Rock music masquerading as Theatre! I was enthralled at this new discovery so early in my life and little did I know that a whole hornet's nest of new discoveries were waiting for me to be savoured time and time again; It started here :-)

JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:Back to the old roots again! I can clearly remember the first time I heard this, my first exposure to Genesis; I had just returned from a dinner dance (remember them?) in the early hours of the morning and a reel to reel was waiting for me in the sitting room - sorry I couldn't resist that ;-) I had earlier asked a friend of mine to pick up the reel from the local record shop who used to record stuff for me - one punt a pop! I couldn't believe my tired teenage ears when I stuck on the reel! Here was a whole 'nother dimension for me; Rock music masquerading as Theatre! I was enthralled at this new discovery so early in my life and little did I know that a whole hornet's nest of new discoveries were waiting for me to be savoured time and time again; It started here :-)

Wow! That takes me back! It was my first Genesis as well. Apart from the epic Supper's Ready I really liked Get 'em Out by Friday. Do you like Phil Collins's hair and Peter Gabriel's shaven strip on the inside of the gatefold? BTW, this album caused quite a division in school, you were either a Genesis or a Yes fan, no grey areas allowed!
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
cybot wrote:Back to the old roots again! I can clearly remember the first time I heard this, my first exposure to Genesis; I had just returned from a dinner dance (remember them?) in the early hours of the morning and a reel to reel was waiting for me in the sitting room - sorry I couldn't resist that ;-) I had earlier asked a friend of mine to pick up the reel from the local record shop who used to record stuff for me - one punt a pop! I couldn't believe my tired teenage ears when I stuck on the reel! Here was a whole 'nother dimension for me; Rock music masquerading as Theatre! I was enthralled at this new discovery so early in my life and little did I know that a whole hornet's nest of new discoveries were waiting for me to be savoured time and time again; It started here :-)

Wow! That takes me back! It was my first Genesis as well. Apart from the epic Supper's Ready I really liked Get 'em Out by Friday. Do you like Phil Collins's hair and Peter Gabriel's shaven strip on the inside of the gatefold? BTW, this album caused quite a division in school, you were either a Genesis or a Yes fan, no grey areas allowed!
Friday is a terrific track but I also loved the strangeness of Timetable and the incredible organ of Watcher. As regards Phil's hair - it was the only time he actually managed to look 'cool' lol ;-) Peter, of course, was the epitome of cool! Yes vs Genesis - ah they were the days!