Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: Image

^^ another disk I have had in mind for some time... Dvorak's Serenades were a gap in my collection which needed attending to, and these were picked up for £1.99
I have those woks in my collection and I do think that it is lovely music. If you have not already heard it Jared I am sure that you will enjoy it!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I have those woks in my collection and I do think that it is lovely music. If you have not already heard it Jared I am sure that you will enjoy it!
there is nothing which Dvorak wrote, which springs to mind that I don't like, to be fair... for me, just about every work of his has some merit..

(although I do struggle with his 'Biblical Songs', come to think of it...)
Seán

Post by Seán »

Introduction et Allegro
Vigh, Andrea, harp
Horgas, Eszter, flute
Balogh, Jozsef, clarinet
Banfalvi, Bela, violin
Nemeth-Fejervari, Zsuzsanna, violin
Konrad, Gyorgy, viola
Jakobi, Laszlo, cello

Jeux d'eau
Baynov, Tomislav, piano

Pavane pour une infante defunte (arr. for flute and harp)
Horgas, Eszter, flute
Vigh, Andrea, harp

Piece en forme de habanera (arr. for flute and harp)
Horgas, Eszter, flute
Vigh, Andrea, harp

String Quartet in F major
Bartok Quartet

This is gorgeous chamber music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:... I've always maintained that French Music didn't start going downhill until after berlioz... ;-))
LOL....Hide; Seán is coming!!
Sean knows I say it entirely tongue in cheek of course... Franch music is something I will tackle at a later stage... and when I finally conquer it for myself, I will be happy to prove myself wrong.. just not for a while, at least...
A magnificent recording of the mightly Te Deum. I'm also very fond of the William Christie version on Harmonia Mundi. If you like Charpentier's music, do look out for his beautiful Lecons de Tenebres. I'm very fond of Herve Niquet's version on Glossa. I really love the music of the French Baroque, Jared, and, in particular, Jean-Philippe Rameau's work. One of Marc Minkowski's finest recordings is his version of Castor et Pollux (recently re-released at a very inexpensive price by DG Archiv - a pity about the new sleeve, though), but perhaps the best entry point would be recordings of orchestral suites from his operas. Christophe Rouset has a very nice set on Decca. Anne-Sophie von Otter also released a wonderful album last year with William Christie - Ombre de mon Amant - which is a lovely introduction to the joys of the French Baroque. Also look out for Veronique Gens' two albums with Christophe Rousset, simply entitled Tragediennes 1 and 2 (available on Virgin). These recordings should give you a nice taste of the French Baroque, Jared.

Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thanks again for all the information... my Charpentier disk used to get a great many plays... and I certainly hope to purchase more French music from that era, when time and money permits.

anyway, I have just purchased the two Bach Motet disks you recommended, and aim to make them one of my main centres of reflection and consideration over the next few weeks... along with the Bach Cantatas I already own, and my new Handel & Vivaldi disks...

what an enthralling time! This week Bach, last week Schoenburg, two to three weeks ago Chopin, and the Beethoven Violin Sonatas... the learning curve is steep, but I start to feel the gradients becoming more manageable...
Last edited by Jared on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Wow....a veritable feast of Charpentier there Paul....positively mouth watering!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Jared wrote:^^ thanks again for all the information... my Charpentier disk used to get a great many plays... and I certainly hope to purchase more French music from that era, when time and money permits.

anyway, I have just purchased the two Bach Motet disks you recommended, and aim to make them one of my main centres of reflection and consideration over the next few weeks... along with the Bach Cantatas I already own, and my new Handel & Vivaldi disks...

what an enthralling time! This week Bach, last week Schoenburg, two to three weeks ago Chopin, and the Beethoven Violin Sonatas... the learning curve is steep, but I start to feel the gradients becoming more manageable...
Enjoy the music, Jared. They say that life is short and art is long and you can't possibly fit in all the great music, but I just know I'll die trying.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote: Enjoy the music, Jared. They say that life is short and art is long and you can't possibly fit in all the great music, but I just know I'll die trying.
and indeed, current economic climate notwithstanding, there surely has never been a better time to be able to enjoy large quantities of recorded music, with such a library of fine performances, both in the archive, and being performed afresh...
Jared

Post by Jared »

I've now officially banned myself from ebay, Amazon and a whole variety of other unwholesome internat retail experiences... 'ere I get shipped off to hell in a handcart... :-//

(but I just couldn't resist this little beauty for only £3)

fergus

Post by fergus »

I like McCreesh Jared....enjoy your last purchase for a while!!!