Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:
mcq wrote:
Dolphy was a magician on the alto sax but he was also one of the finest flautists in jazz (as well as being the best bass clarinettist - not that there was much competition in that department). Eric's solo on Stolen Moments is masterly but I think he surpassed it on Gazelloni (from his masterpiece, Out To Lunch).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkRPVD1OjiU

That he may have Paul, but I'm still not enamoured with that flute sound. Still, it is to me anyway, unusual to hear the flute in a jazz context....
Ah it's not Dermot. After Dolphy one might consider Rahsaan Roland Kirk; Hubert Laws; Yusef Lateef; Jerome Richardson; James Moody; Frank Wess; Bud Shank; Buddy Collette; Jerry Dodgion; Paul Horn; Joe Henderson; Bobby Jaspar; Norris Turney and many more besides, all of them brought something fresh and new to jazz music. The flute is a well established instrument in jazz.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
Enjoying my Jazz odyssey at the moment and long may it last :-)
Moi aussi, I have been listeing to my vinyl on a daily basis of late and I am really enjoying them again too.[/quote]

Glad to hear it Seán... What set up have you got?
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:
Seán wrote:
cybot wrote: Enjoying my Jazz odyssey at the moment and long may it last :-)
Moi aussi, I have been listeing to my vinyl on a daily basis of late and I am really enjoying them again too.
I have the Cleadaudio Champion LE turntable with the Tom Evans Microgroove phonostage into a Primare I21 amp and SA1750 speakers, it's lovely.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

51rfVKK+GFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
51rfVKK+GFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Right now this Miles album and the Sunday papers.

Happy easter to you all.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gerry D wrote:

Happy easter to you all.
Happy Easter Gerry, enjoy Miles Davis gorgeous music-making and don't get too depressed reading the papers.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:
I have the Cleadaudio Champion LE turntable with the Tom Evans Microgroove phonostage into a Primare I21 amp and SA1750 speakers, it's lovely.
It does actually sound lovely :-) I'll not mention the flute, don't worry!
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:
Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:
It does actually sound lovely :-) I'll not mention the flute, don't worry!
It is, and I'm not worried at all young man.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Gerry D wrote:

Happy easter to you all.
A wonderful album. The sorely-underrated George Coleman is on great form and the version of My Funny Valentine, in particular, is simply sublime.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Got this vinyl double in Tower yesterday (only one copy left) and while I've never heard of the group this is fabulous,fabulous music and the sonics are simply astounding. Anyone who gives Jazz a wide berth should definitely give this a listen. As recommended as they come...

A few words:

The music of Nik Barsch's Ronin is instantly recognisable and surprisingly difficult to describe (even with the assistance of Wittginstein's quotation about "Empathis und Phrasierung" in the liner notes). Barsch's own (not entirely happy) phrase "zen funk" captures some of the internal conflict behind such disciplined music and reviewers of the previous release "Holon" highlighted comparators such as the American minimalists, the much-missed EST and Autechre.

Publicity releases for "Llyria" have highlighted its increased melodic and lyrical sense and corresponding "loosening of the ritualistic grooves" in comparison to its predecessor "Holon". Nonetheless, "Llyria" is no volte face or abandonment from the group's previous work, rather a refinement or natural development and, for all the excellence of "Holon", an improvement. The use of acoustic instruments save for electric bass provides a warm and organic feel which militates against the disciplined construction of the music, the complete absence of ego and notion of soloists, and the austere description of all the pieces as numbered modules.

The percussive precision throughout, best exemplified on fourth track "Modul 47", and shifting pulse match any of Jaki Liebzeit`s contributions to Can's "Future Days". Bartsch's piano has a more crystalline quality than before and his patterns, whilst still very rhythmic with lower register stabbings providing as much propulsion as the bass or percussion, are indeed more melodic and even impressionistic. On third track "Modul 55" in particular the mysteriously named Sha's saxophone even has echoes of Stephan Micus's (zen but resolutely un-funky) music.

The range of comparisons and synthesis of melody and rhythm, pre-conception and improvisation means that this is music which should appeal to Ronin's existing fanbase, a wide new audience and fellow musicians looking for samples and directors for film-music. Undemonstratively brilliant.
mick

Post by mick »

I have this collection on the way to me.I expect it in the next day or two.