What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No's 1 & 2

Staatskapelle Dresden
Herbert Bolmstedt - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I have listened to the first 2 CD's so far. Impressive performances to say the least.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been listening today to some excellent sacred choral music courtesy of Wilfried Rombach and his very fine Ensemble Officium. All of these discs are available on Christophorus.

Image Image

Image Image

There is a beautifully pared-down intensity to these quite solemn performances which seems entirely fitting for this repertoire and which I personally find very moving. Very highly recommended.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Very interesting looking discs Paul!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Buxtehude – CD 4 of the Complete Organ Works [for Easter] played by Urlik Spang-Hanssen....

Simon, the stand-out pieces for me on this disc were....

Ciacona in C BuxWV 159
Praeludium in E BuxWv 141
Fuga in C BuxWV 174
Tocatta in F BuxWV 156
Nun freut euch, lieben Christen g’mein BuxWV 210
Canzona in C BuxWV 166
fergus

Post by fergus »

Haydn: Trumpet Concerto....

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Fergus, I know some of those but none well. I like the look of those discs too mcq.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Image

I have listened to the first 2 CD's so far. Impressive performances to say the least.
Well it is Doctor Reiner after all.
I have to confess that when I consider the performances of all of the conductors that I have in my collection the one who stands out for me as being consistently brilliant is, Fritz Reiner. I do not normally seek out recordings of Dickie Strauss's music (sorry Fergus), but I have that box set in my amazon.fr basket because it has Reiner conducting the CSO, I must order it soon.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Paul, those disc covers from Christophorus are beautiful, if the music sounds as good as they look then it must be very special indeed.
mcq

Post by mcq »

It is truly exquisite music, Sean. Really great sacred choral music like this just seeps into your bones and consumes you completely.

I've also been listening tonight to Schutz's Matthaus Passion as performed by Ars Nova Copenhagen and directed by Paul Hillier (DaCapo). An intense experience and a quite superb climax to Hillier's series of Schutz recordings on DaCapo, which collectively must form a career highlight for Hillier.

And finally, I played O Gente Brunette, a serenely beautiful disc of Franco-Flemish Renaissance polyphony as sung by Odhecation and directed by Paolo Da Col (and available on Ramee).

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.