What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: I'm meant to be contributing to a fairly low-key concert in Monkstown before the summer, but I'll need to get my act together. Hoping to play some movements from Widor Symphonie Romane, and others will play assorted works, mainly French Romantic. I'll let you know.
I am only down the road from that venue. I look forward to it!
Do I recall you saying before that you were not particularly partial to that organ?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3....

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote: Do I recall you saying before that you were not particularly partial to that organ?
Must tread carefully here, given that I basically resigned my organist position there on the back of "issues" involved with the rebuild contract. Suffice to say I think it's good, but it could have been a lot better. Admittedly, a large part of the problem is architectural -- the sound of the instrument just doesn't get into the building properly, and it lacks impact.

Still, it's the right kind of instrument for this music, and it's quite pleasant to play.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:Schoenberg: Verklarte Nacht [Orchestral version]....

Schoenberg’s Verklarte Nacht Op. 4 is programme music based on a poem written at the time. To put it in its musical context this work immediately preceded Gurrelider so it is an extremely accessible Schoenberg composition. It was originally written as a string sextet and was later, apparently, re-arranged for string orchestra. If you came to this music for the first time via the string orchestra version you would be very impressed with the beauty of the music. The passion and the drama of the work are brought out very well in this version. But although it is a beautiful version, the heavy orchestral textures detract from the haunting simplicity and, above all, the intimacy of the original chamber version which is, for me, the essence of the work.
I adore Verklärte Nacht! My favourite recording of the chamber version is the Hollywood Quartet + on Testament:

For the string orchestra version Dmitri Mitropoulos takes some beating:

What's that? You want lush modern sound? Then Barenboim in Chicago is your man!

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Schoenberg: Verklarte Nacht [Orchestral version]....

Schoenberg’s Verklarte Nacht Op. 4 is programme music based on a poem written at the time. To put it in its musical context this work immediately preceded Gurrelider so it is an extremely accessible Schoenberg composition. It was originally written as a string sextet and was later, apparently, re-arranged for string orchestra. If you came to this music for the first time via the string orchestra version you would be very impressed with the beauty of the music. The passion and the drama of the work are brought out very well in this version. But although it is a beautiful version, the heavy orchestral textures detract from the haunting simplicity and, above all, the intimacy of the original chamber version which is, for me, the essence of the work.

Thanks for that lovely, detailed description, Fergus. I must say that I have always been a little underwhelmed by VN, although I admit it is by it's very nature quite accessible. The only versions I own of it are the famous Karajan, and Runnicles, with the BBC Symph... both versions leave me with the impression that its the final word in late Romanticism.. where else can you go with a tone poem, after the uniformly rich, velvety mush which is VN? Maybe, as Ciaran says, I should listen to the string orchestra version for another opinion? As it is, I have been enjoying Gurrelieder recently, which I find to be a more satisfying statement.
Jared

Post by Jared »

a very sensitive, lyrical version, backed up back capable, smaller forces...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote: I adore Verklärte Nacht! My favourite recording of the chamber version is the Hollywood Quartet + on Testament:

I am 100% with you on both counts there Ciaran!
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared wrote:Image

a very sensitive, lyrical version, backed up back capable, smaller forces...
I have to say, that is a really powerful version of the painfully underated Britten VC... a very welcome additional to the limited pool of alternatives...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

^ I must say Dave, I have noticed you post some quite unusual and indeed intriguing CD covers...

you enjoy late Rennaissance/ Baroque music, don't you?