Help me cull my amazon basket

Seán

Re: Help me cull my amazon basket

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Don't forget that, according to Brendan Behan, the first thing on the agenda will be the split!
There's only two of us, we'll call oursleves, 'The Wit', to prevent a split....what would be called if we did go our separate ways?
Half Wits....
Correct!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Simon, would you say that this thread has been successfully dealt with on your behalf, or are there items in your basket, about which you'd like a second opinion? I looked at the first couple of pages, but haven't I admit, read the seven...

as a matter of interest, I culled my Amazon wish list right down recently, and have instead started a spreadsheet of most wanted recordings of certain repertoire I don't already own... needless to say, there's a decade worth of listening on there...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I ended up buying a few things from the original list, and I'm happy with them. I remain without the Sibelius, the Shostakovich and, perhaps more importantly, the Beethoven Symphonies. As it stands I'm barely getting the time to listen to the discs I have bought, so it's not a pressing problem.

Still happy to hear your thoughts, though!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote: Still happy to hear your thoughts, though!
when it comes to Beethoven, the two early suggestions of Karajan (1960's) and Abbado are both hard to beat, and I'd recommend both, wholeheartedly. I also think the Bruggen is a great HIP boxset, although difficult to get hold of these days...

when it comes to Sibelius, I own two sets; the Jarvi on DG and the Blomstedt on Decca, although in truth, these are very well served by Berglund, Vanska, Davis, Ashkenazy & Segerstam among others... it really is a very strong field.

when it comes to Shostakovich, I really don't have a clue!.. ;-))
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Good man, thanks for that. I'll certainly end up buying them at some stage.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2