Recent Purchases

Jared

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Jared »

the purchase I made today might be interesting to those who are sharing a current interest in Liszt's Piano Music as a consequnce of his 200th Anniversary... this set is both highly regarded and very reasonably priced:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:As an alternative boxset... maybe some of you might be interested in the recently re-released, famous Budapest set on RCA at a bargain budget price... these are classic performances, reputedly not to be missed for those wanting a variety of different versions of the Beethoven SQs..

I actually am considering that one Jared....I think that Seán bought it.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:the purchase I made today might be interesting to those who are sharing a current interest in Liszt's Piano Music as a consequnce of his 200th Anniversary... this set is both highly regarded and very reasonably priced:

I know that you like the music of Liszt Jared so would you have any recommendations for his Tone Poems?
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I know that you like the music of Liszt Jared so would you have any recommendations for his Tone Poems?
I really don't think there is any competition here Fergus... without any doubt, one of Kurt Masur's finest accomplishments... the complete set at a very reasonable price:

all I will say is tread lightly... these tend to be BOMBASTIC!!!!!! so, you might want to work your way through the symphonic poems a couple of disks at a time, play some Bach and return to them for further consideration at a later date. They are all exhillarating and good fun but to be fair, not all are great music. They were nevertheless ground breaking in their inception; Liszt was the father of the Nationalistic Tone Poem, a wonderful invention in the hands of Sibelius, Dvorak, Smetana, Tchaikovsky & Rimsky among others, so for that alone, we have a great deal to thank Liszt for...
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:As an alternative boxset... maybe some of you might be interested in the recently re-released, famous Budapest set on RCA at a bargain budget price... these are classic performances, reputedly not to be missed for those wanting a variety of different versions of the Beethoven SQs..

I actually am considering that one Jared....I think that Seán bought it.
Yes I did and I LOVE it!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:the purchase I made today might be interesting to those who are sharing a current interest in Liszt's Piano Music as a consequnce of his 200th Anniversary... this set is both highly regarded and very reasonably priced:

I have his Debussy solo piano set on EMI and it's very good indeed, say nothing Jared...be good now!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:I have his Debussy solo piano set on EMI and it's very good indeed, say nothing Jared...be good now!
I expect I'll become a member of the Debussy appreciation society eventually... and if I ever do, I think it will be through his piano works, rather than Orchestral...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:I have his Debussy solo piano set on EMI and it's very good indeed, say nothing Jared...be good now!
I expect I'll become a member of the Debussy appreciation society eventually... and if I ever do, I think it will be through his piano works, rather than Orchestral...
Ah Debussy's music is wonderful, yep start on his solo piano works..
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:Ah Debussy's music is wonderful, yep start on his solo piano works..

The BBC disks have been very fond of his music over the past 19 volumes; I think I'll dig some of that out in due course, before spending any more of my hard earned on the likes of La Mer & Prelude L'apres Midi.... :-//
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: Image
Thank you for that one Jared....duly noted. I do not have much of Masur's conducting.