What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

JSB – Cello suites 4-6 played by Queyras....

I have to say that I was underwhelmed with this set. The playing was wonderful technically but, interestingly, not as intense as others and for me the performances lacked a spark to ignite the music.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Dvorak – Cello Concerto....

I really enjoyed this performance of this wonderful work. I was very taken by the interpretation of the slow movement; such sympathetic playing!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler: Das Klagende Lied – Chailly.....

fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq

Post by mcq »

Tonight I've been watching a favourite DVD, a wonderful performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion conducted by Ton Koopman with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra (and available on Challenge Classics). Fabulous performances from all concerned, but especially from the much-underrated tenor Ekkehard Abele as Jesus who contributes an inspirational performance that truly encapsulates the values of compassion, empathy and tolerance (are there any greater?) which collectively epitomise this character in this masterpiece of masterpieces.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq

Post by mcq »

Over the past two weeks I have been utterly absorbed in the the Mandelring Quartet's sterling performances of Shostakovich's string quartets which have been collected by Audite into a single box. It is too early to speak of a new benchmark, but my previous references of the Shostakovich Quartet (Melodiya/Regis) and Emerson Quartet (DG) may well be overhauled. These are immaculate performances that fully communicate the humanistic grit of Shostakovich's inspiration to the listener. The recording is exemplary as well - full-bodied, yet well balanced. Very highly recommended.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

mcq wrote:Tonight I've been watching a favourite DVD, a wonderful performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion conducted by Ton Koopman with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra (and available on Challenge Classics). Fabulous performances from all concerned, but especially from the much-underrated tenor Ekkehard Abele as Jesus who contributes an inspirational performance that truly encapsulates the values of compassion, empathy and tolerance (are there any greater?) which collectively epitomise this character in this masterpiece of masterpieces.

[
WOW Fergus, that performance sems to have made a big impression on you, thanks for the comments, very interesting indeed.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
mcq wrote:Tonight I've been watching a favourite DVD, a wonderful performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion conducted by Ton Koopman with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra (and available on Challenge Classics). Fabulous performances from all concerned, but especially from the much-underrated tenor Ekkehard Abele as Jesus who contributes an inspirational performance that truly encapsulates the values of compassion, empathy and tolerance (are there any greater?) which collectively epitomise this character in this masterpiece of masterpieces.

[
WOW Fergus, that performance sems to have made a big impression on you, thanks for the comments, very interesting indeed.
Unfortunately, Seán, it was not I who had the singular pleasure of wathcing that particular performance....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler: 8 Lieder from “Des Knaben Wunderhorn” Simon Keenlyside/CBSO/Rattle....