What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote:A lot of polyphony leaves me cold
Insert "shocked" emoticon here!

I seem to remember you saying something of that ilk before actually, perhaps related to Palestrina? It's funny really, but for my ears it's all just ravishing music that I could listen to all day long. One man's meat, etc. Of course, the Tallis Scholars have an almost otherworldly, disciplined perfection in this music, and I know their approach leaves a lot of other listeners cold as well.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:
Ciaran wrote:A lot of polyphony leaves me cold
Insert "shocked" emoticon here!

I seem to remember you saying something of that ilk before actually, perhaps related to Palestrina? It's funny really, but for my ears it's all just ravishing music that I could listen to all day long. One man's meat, etc. Of course, the Tallis Scholars have an almost otherworldly, disciplined perfection in this music, and I know their approach leaves a lot of other listeners cold as well.
Yes, Palestrina in particular. OTOH I do enjoy the Tallis Scholars' performances of the polyphony I like, in fact I am tempted to get more of their records. Just not Palestrina, and probably not Byrd either.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Actually, their recordings of Tallis are worthwhile, such is the variety of Tallis' compositional style over his lifetime (due to the vagaries of the church in England at the time). And hey, they're the Tallis Scholars, so...
Last edited by Diapason on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There? I think you meant their!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Yes I had an LP of them doing various Latin motets including Spem in alium, though in fact that was all I ever listened to from the disc. I may get it again and give it another go!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

on the TT this evening....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

followed by....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Archduke Trio....

Probably my favourite piece of chamber music!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

back to an old favorite, this time on vinyl.

fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

The notable thing about this recording is the marvellous singing both from the soloists and the choir.