What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

Image Image

Philippe Herreweghe with the Orchestre des Champs-Élysées performing Mahler's 4th symphony and Das Knaben Wunderhorn. Both fantastic recordings. I dont understand the bad press that the M4 is getting from some reviewers.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:.... I'm buying Ciaran's LP collection in the coming week and picking the lot up some weekend afterwards.
Congratulations Dave....there are some really wonderful recordings in that collection!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler – Symphony No. 7 [Bernstein]....

This was a wonderful performance that was full of power and bite and was one of the best versions that I have heard!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This is the actual cover of the Kubelik Mahler 9 that I bought yesterday which differs to the one I posted up yesterday. The performance here was very satisfactory even if it was a little safe and restrained. There are better M9's out there or rather that suit my tastes but this one is well worthy of a spot in any Mahlerite's collection.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Josquin – Missa L’homme armé....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote:Image

The cure for your ills!
Great suggestion from Ciaran. This is a beautiful disc.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Image

The cure for your ills!
Great suggestion from Ciaran. This is a beautiful disc.
Glad you enjoyed it! Kermes's virtuosity is staggering, but it's not just about showing off: it's the joy of discovering all this hitherto unknown but very beautiful music. It's encouraging to think that probably tons more great music has been mouldering on the library shelves for centuries and is just waiting to be brought to life by the likes of Kermes and Le Musiche Nove!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

more Schubert this evening. Symphony No.6

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On the turntable...

A terrific recording of Shostakovich's chilling Symphony No.14