Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Gerry D wrote:[Looking forward to sussing out what grabs me in it's entirety.
That is exactly it in a nutshell Gerry....go with what you like; nothing simpler!!
Best of luck and keep us informed of any "discoveries" that you make.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gerry D wrote:SUPER BARGAIN !

.......Maybe I will realise the appeal Ye buffs [!] have ?

Take Care,
Gerry
Good man Gerry. The first CD alone has some interesting music that may even be familiar to you and that - hopefully - you will enjoy. If you have any questions on the music on these CDS I'm quite sure that our experienced boffins will be able to answer them for you. The following sample from the first one looks interesting.
Disc: 1
2. J.S. Bach: Air "On The G String" From Suite No.3 In D, Bwv1068 3.31- Academy Of St Martin In The Fields / Sir Neville Marriner (P) 1974/1997*
8. Mozart: Soave Sia Il Vento (Così Fan Tutte) 3.04 - Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (Soprano)/Christa Ludwig (Mezzo-Soprano)/Walter Berry (Bass)/Philharmonia Orchestra / Karl Böhm (P) 1963/2000*
9. Dvorák: Symphony No.9 "From The New World" - Ii. Largo (Opening) 4.42 - Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra / Mariss Jansons (P) 1989
10. Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending (Opening) 6.21 - Hugh Bean (Violin)/
14. Vaughan Williams: Fantasia On "Greensleeves" 4.37 - (Sir John In Love) (Arr. Greaves)/Sinfonia Of London / Sir John Barbirolli (P) 1963/1986*
15. Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No. 2 In F Op.102 - Ii. Andante 6.06-Dmitri Alexeev (Piano)/English Chamber Orchestra / Jerzy Maksymiuk (P) 1983
16. Rodrigo: Concierto De Aranjuez - Ii. Adagio (Opening) 4.42-Julian Bream (Guitar)/City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra / Sir Simon Rattle (P) 1993
17. Saint-Saëns: The Swan (The Carnival Of The Animals) (Arr. Hazell) 3.14- Hah-Na Chang (Cello)/Philharmonia Orchestra / Leonard Slatkin (P) 2000
19. Grieg: Morning (Peer Gynt Incidental Music, Op.23) 4.15 - Academy Of St Martin In The Fields / Sir Neville Marriner (P) 1983
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yup, some classics there.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have not bought a new Bruckner disc in quite a while....

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

A new Carnival of the Animals, I listened to it last night: really lively and exuberant. The pianists in Pianists (deliberately) play lots of wrong notes. Leave them in their cage! This CD also has the Septet with trumpet, something I've wanted a record of for a long time.

Continuing my second Abbado Mahler cycle:

Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Continuing my second Abbado Mahler cycle:

I have a copy of Abbado's third, I must give it a spin once again. If memory serves me correctly I really liked it the last time I listened to it. I rarely listen to the Third in comparison to the other symphonies.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:I rarely listen to the Third in comparison to the other symphonies.
It's one of my favourites: possibly even the one I'm most likely to listen to!
Seán

Post by Seán »

At last:

fergus

Post by fergus »

I certainly hope that you enjoy them as much as I did Seán.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP