Brandenburg... suggestions?

Claus

Brandenburg... suggestions?

Post by Claus »

I was just sitting here listening to Brandenburg Concertos on Sky Arts 2 with Abbado and The Orchestra Mozart. I put on my own Harnoncourt and Concentus Musicus Wien. Wow what a night and day difference! Slow marching tempo with Harnoncourt and very light and quick tempo from Abbado. Is there any other good recordings of this piece that you can recommend in the lighter, quicker version?
Thanks,
Claus
DaveF

Re: Brandenburg... suggestions?

Post by DaveF »

Not sure how the tempi comparesto the ones you mentioned Claus but the above are very very good recordings. I have a few more but these ones are my favorites.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Claus wrote:I was just sitting here listening to Brandenburg Concertos on Sky Arts 2 with Abbado and The Orchestra Mozart. I put on my own Harnoncourt and Concentus Musicus Wien. Wow what a night and day difference! Slow marching tempo with Harnoncourt and very light and quick tempo from Abbado. Is there any other good recordings of this piece that you can recommend in the lighter, quicker version?
Thanks,
Claus
These two versions are on the lighter side and are medium paced....

Image Image

....but this one is the fastest paced set [two seperate discs 1-3 & 4-6] in my collection....

....sometimes at breakneck speeds!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've recommended it before and I'll recommend it again. Ton Koopman and Amsterdam baroque orchestra.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

Thanks, will try one or two of them :)
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I would endorse the suggestion of Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano for just the Brandenburgs.

The Brandenburgs are included in the continuing series of Bach Concertos by Café Zimmermann

which are excellent, but you don't get all the Brandenburgs in one go, in fact I don't think they've recorded them all yet. But if you want excellent lively recordings of Bach Concertos and Suites then it would be hard to do better. I'm impatiently waiting for Vol. V, which has been in the post for quite a while!
Jared

Post by Jared »

any love for the Pinnock set, on this forum? I personally think his sound fits the Brandenburgs very well:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:any love for the Pinnock set, on this forum? I personally think his sound fits the Brandenburgs very well:

I have the Pinnock version Jared....not my favourite but I do like it a lot.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:any love for the Pinnock set, on this forum? I personally think his sound fits the Brandenburgs very well:

I have the Pinnock version Jared....not my favourite but I do like it a lot.
to be honest Fergus, its one of those pieces which I need to hear other recordings of... I purchased the Pinnock on the back of positive reviews early on, and have stuck with it since... I'm obviously no authority here, and need to invest further here...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: to be honest Fergus, its one of those pieces which I need to hear other recordings of... I purchased the Pinnock on the back of positive reviews early on, and have stuck with it since... I'm obviously no authority here, and need to invest further here...
That particular slope can be quite slippy Jared; I have 10 versions of the Brandenburgs with another one on the way!!!