Class D Audio KIt ordered!

Claus

Class D Audio KIt ordered!

Post by Claus »

As mentioned elsewhere I need a balanced power amp to drive my "new" PMC DB1+ monitors. As it will be used in my home studio, it is going to be left on alot of the time, and needs to be silent. Hence Class D seemed the way to go. I have ordered this kit so all I need is an enclosure and a few bits from Radionics. If it is as good as the reviews say (outplaying Bryston and expensive valve gear) it must be the HiFi bargain of the year! If anyone has enclosures sitting around that they don't need I will be happy to take them off you.

I will keep you posted when there's any progress. A review might also be of interest?
Diapason

Re: Class D Audio KIt ordered!

Post by Diapason »

Claus wrote:A review might also be of interest?
Essential!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I should have a case for you.....

Let me know what size you need, I have both sizes in stock.... too small or too big!!

Fran

(kidding!)
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: I have both sizes in stock.... too small or too big!!

You made me LOL in an open office. MORE strange looks.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Heh heh.heh......
Do or do not, there is no try
Claus

Post by Claus »

I just got the kids looking at me: "What so funny Dad?"
Me: "Just someone being funny on the internet, Son!"

That sounds great Fran! Thanks for the offer I will see when the stuff arrives, wether too small or too big will suit best:D
Cheers!
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Hi Claus
Good luck with the project. Where did you buy the amp kit from? I have made a number of Class D amps in the past. I bought the kits from 41 Hz (haven't visited their site in years) but had to make the power supplies myself and do surface mount soldering. Easy enough just took time and patience, your kit looks more finished.
I agree with you Class D is perfect for when you want to run all day, I use a set that run about 12 hrs a day for playing radio and they never run hot and don't use much electricity.

I look forward to reading how they sound once you finish them
James
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Claus

Post by Claus »

http://classdaudio.com/

Yeah the kit seems very easy make which is pretty important as I am no wiz when it comes to electronics. I have built a couple of guitar pedals, but that is all low voltage stuff. They have replied very fast to my emails so I am confident it will work. But how it will sound is a whole other question... :)
Claus

Post by Claus »

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

Just a little thread on the amp I am building!
Claus

Post by Claus »

Fran was fantastic and whipped this box up with a bit of workshop magic. Thanks again!

Some (bad) drilling...

Assembling:

And a test setup:

Not pretty, but hopefully effective... Next up is mounting the tranny and connecting it all up.