Nu-Vista umbilical cable problem

Claus

Nu-Vista umbilical cable problem

Post by Claus »

Just wondering if you can tell me why this homemade umbilical wont work. It is for the preamp section of the amp. I have tested all connections with a multimeter. It has 5 conductors running from xlr to xlr. When I turn on the amp it goes into "soft start" and stays there with a buzzing noise coming from the amp (nothing through the speakers). The blue status lights indicate there is power coming to the preamp section of the amp. My homemade cable is identical to the Dalkey Audio designs, with solid silver wires in teflon, in a pvc tube.

This might be really obvious to some of the tech brains, so I hope you can help...
Thanks,
Claus
Claus

Re: Nu-Vista umbilical cable problem

Post by Claus »

http://cgi.ebay.com/custom-made-power-l ... 728wt_1003

I think this link explains why my design will not work.... I am not able to explain it myself, but this type of cable looks quite complex.... At least I now have wire enough for another interconnect....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, first thing that springs to mind is that the pin out on pre and power connections are different? Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer did it.

After that if the continuity is ok and nothing is shorting against the socket when plugged in it's a bit of a mystery.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Star quad is common enough - used in microphone cable and can be bought in maplin - but its ordinary copper. He actually mentions 6 conductors: star quad plus the twin control wires.
Do or do not, there is no try