Asking a friend for a job

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Frankie Lee

Asking a friend for a job

Post by Frankie Lee »

I'm looking for a job and have noticed a company that a good friend of mine runs is advertising a position that'd suit me. How or even should I approach things? Do I mention it to him off the cuff or do a more formal application. It's a small company and I know he'd spot my name a mile off so I'd have to be upfront with him.

Ideally I'd love to sound him out to see if it's worth my while applying, but I'm afraid I'll put him in a really awkward position. Perhaps I'm better off just looking elsewhere, but I'd hate to find out that if I had asked that I'd have got it (if you know what I mean).

Any thoughts?
Check out our new iPad app: http://www.lowdownmtb.com
Ivor

Re: Asking a friend for a job

Post by Ivor »

I'd sound him out before applying but be very clear that you expect no favouritism and you'll still be mates no matter what. Are you 100% sure you can work with/for this friend anyway?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Can you make discreet enquiries through a 3rd party to find the lie of the land before approaching him? At least you would know if you're way off....

Best of luck whatever you do...

Fran.
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'd take the Ivor approach. Be direct, upfront and honest, and make it clear that as regards the application process you're not expecting special treatment. It can't hurt!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Interesting conundrum. I'd tend to carry out both recommendations. Try and do a bit of background research into the status of the company and what the job entails. It could be your friend is just run off his feet and it has not even occurred to him that you would fit the bill. Or you could make out a list of questions, and get somebody else to pick up the phone and make enquiries. That way you would not be discovered.

If its a case that your friend will not be on the interview board, then I can't see any issue, it would just be you against the other interviewees.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Let the Good Times Roll...................