BBC R3 - an urgent message for all Sibelians

Seán

BBC R3 - an urgent message for all Sibelians

Post by Seán »

that's probably just you and me, Fergus.

Anyway, this evening's live concert at seven features Vänskä conducting the LPO in a performance of music by Sibelius:
Osmo Vänskä and the LPO continue their cycle of symphonies and other works by Jean Sibelius.
Compelling despite its largely brooding and desolate character, Sibelius's Fourth Symphony opens with an ice-cold 'tritone', the sound that traditionally stood for ominous foreboding in western music and was regarded in earlier centuries as "diabolic". The monumental Fifth Symphony, however, is a heroic struggle towards affirmation. Glimpsing a flock of sixteen swans taking flight over his Järvenpää villa, Sibelius discovered the joy of life once more. He thrust the swans' soaring, graceful ascent into the final movement of the Fifth.

Sibelius Luonnotar (Tone poem for soprano and orchestra)
Sibelius Symphony 4
Sibelius Symphony 5
Helena Juntunen soprano
Osmo Vänskä conductor

Followed by recent performances by the students of the Sibelius Academy, Finland, including music by Mozart, played by Juho Pohjonen, piano.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Re: BBC R3 - an urgent message for all Sibelians

Post by Jared »

^^ me too Sean, although sadly I am working... :-((
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'm coming around to Sibelius too guys although the Jarvi set is the only one that's done it for me so far. The Vänskä recordings are on my wish list but I'll wait until I get a bit more familiar with Sibelius' work.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ me too Sean, although sadly I am working... :-((
Jared, I was hoping that you would say that.
DaveF wrote:I'm coming around to Sibelius too guys although the Jarvi set is the only one that's done it for me so far. The Vänskä recordings are on my wish list but I'll wait until I get a bit more familiar with Sibelius' work.
They are worth getting.
I managed to listen to the start of the Fourth and the last two movements of the Fifth, it was very enjoyable.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
I'm a very big Sibelius fan Sean... one of my favourite composers

... indeed, I may occasionally be heard crying myself to sleep over the thought of never being able to hear the destroyed 8th Symphony... ;-(((
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:
I'm a very big Sibelius fan Sean... one of my favourite composers

... indeed, I may occasionally be heard crying myself to sleep over the thought of never being able to hear the destroyed 8th Symphony... ;-(((
I thought that but I wasn't sure, I should never have doubted you. There is another Vänskä concert on R3 on the 18th March when he will conduct the Minnesota Orchestra in Kullervo:
http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/seaso ... ent=910017
fergus

Post by fergus »

*$%*&#....I missed that!!!!

I hope that they will have it on the "listen again" thingy.....must check that!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra