New preamplifier (SPL Elector)

Brutus1968

New preamplifier (SPL Elector)

Post by Brutus1968 »

My quest for a good preamplifier started when I arrived in Ireland, more than 3 years ago. While the vintage ones I had, for different reasons, were falling apart, I wanted to fill that gap. And now that I am settling in the new house I think is the right moment. So I made a long research (based on reviews, data, images but no listening session...) I decided to buy the SPL Elector line preamp https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/elector/. Mainly because:
1) I t is quite minimalistic and at the same time flexible (3 RCA inputs, 3 XLR inputs, 2 fixed/variable outputs)
2) I needed an analogue stereo preamp, no digital inputs, DACs, streaming, ecc.
3) It is solid state: a tube one was an option, but I wanted a new item and the ones I liked were too expensive for my budget.
4) It is compact (less than 30cm width), so I can use the extra space for a small DAC or PS.
5) It comes without a remote control, but the volume can be controlled by (possibly) any remote control that you already have in your house: I am using the CD player one.
6) I am not an expert, but according to the few things I know the specs and internal layout are very good.
7) Last but not least, the price is still in a reasonable range and I don't have to ask for a mortgage.

It does not have a phono input, but I will use an external one (to be decided yet).

I bought it from Premium Sound Ireland and as they informed me I had to wait 4 weeks to have it delivered: the last version was not in stock when I asked.

I connected everything yesterday and first impressions are positive; but I will have to metabolise it in the next weeks.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
Ivor

Re: New preamplifier (SPL Elector)

Post by Ivor »

I'm very interested in this... I had looked longingly at this amp a few times (from the same retailer) but as I'm quite happy with the preamp I currently have I just drooled... let us know how it works out for you...

This is the same one yes? https://premiumsound.ie/product/hifi-se ... l-elector/
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Ivor wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:50 pm I'm very interested in this... I had looked longingly at this amp a few times (from the same retailer) but as I'm quite happy with the preamp I currently have I just drooled... let us know how it works out for you...

This is the same one yes? https://premiumsound.ie/product/hifi-se ... l-elector/
The one in the link, which is available in 7 days, is still the old version: if you look at the back panel you won't see the dip switches that can change the outputs from fixed to variable (you can compare it with the pictures on the official webpage that I linked in the first message). I specifically asked for the last version and I guess they had to order it from SPL, because I had to wait 4 weeks.

Best
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Brutus1968 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:43 pm
The one in the link, which is available in 7 days, is still the old version: if you look at the back panel you won't see the dip switches that can change the outputs from fixed to variable
Best
Gotcha.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

First impressions are positive: it is transparent but never at the point of becoming aggressive. The "presence" effect is good. Low frequencies are well deep and controlled. I have used the pre section of a vintage integrated in the last period of time (Pioneer SA-9900), so a palpable improvement was expected, and I am happy with that.
The thing I don't like is the background noise: when no music is played there is a hiss (kind of pink noise) coming out the speakers. I tried switching on the power amp only and the speakers are dead quiet, but with the preamp on that noise is there (and it was not like that with the previous preamp). It doesn't change with the volume or with the source selector. Maybe it is a bad matching with my power amp. I will try using the RCA output instead of the XLR, and will also try to pair it with another class D power amp that I have to see if anything changes.

Best
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I can't help but be curious - have you come across any internal pictures in your research?
Do or do not, there is no try
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Fran wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:53 pm I can't help but be curious - have you come across any internal pictures in your research?
You can have some views here: https://tmraudio.com/blog/tmr-exclusive ... er-part-3/

Best
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

I think I found the problem: when using an RCA cable instead of the XLR one there is no noise; at the point that I had to play some music to verify the signal was arriving to the speakers.
Then I checked my XLR diy cables and the only problem that I see is that the XLR shell is not connected on either side. I thought that was fine for home audio, but probably in this case it should be bridged to the shield cable connector. Now I see various opinions on the web, so if you have made similar cables I would like to know if and how you connected the XLR shell.

Best
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thanks for the link above - very nice layout alright.

Do the balanced cables have a shield? I think that should be connected at one end only and just make sure the correct pin of the XLR is grounded. I know there was some variance in this years ago, maybe that is all settled out now anyway. Often with balanced gear the manual will tell you pinout.

Any chance you could borrow a commercial pair of balanced interconnects before you go ripping yours apart?
Do or do not, there is no try
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Fran wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 8:57 pm Thanks for the link above - very nice layout alright.

Do the balanced cables have a shield? I think that should be connected at one end only and just make sure the correct pin of the XLR is grounded. I know there was some variance in this years ago, maybe that is all settled out now anyway. Often with balanced gear the manual will tell you pinout.

Any chance you could borrow a commercial pair of balanced interconnects before you go ripping yours apart?
Hi Fran, I have a commercial XLR cable and internally it is connected exactly like the one I did, so the terminations shell is left floating on both sides.
Will try it anyway in the next days (bad back pain today) to exclude other problems on my cable.
The 3 cable wires (+ - and shield) are connected on both sides to their respective pins, even the shield. At least this should be the standard.
On the Steve Hoffman forum I found this interesting discussion:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... g.1172383/
The last message is illuminating about all the possible ways you can terminate XLR cable depending on the devices they are going to connect.

I think I will contact SPL and ask them suggestions in case I want to use the XLR output.

Best