Clock radios. Anyone heard a Ruark R1 mk3?

Diapason

Clock radios. Anyone heard a Ruark R1 mk3?

Post by Diapason »

As much as I love the sound, the functionality of my Tivoli Model 3 has always annoyed me, and now that the snooze button has stopped working altogether it's time for a new bedside radio-alarm-thingy. I basically need good sound, FM, a radio alarm that can be trusted and a snooze button that works. Nice to have would be weekday/weekend alarms and Bluetooth.

The Ruark R1 mk3 seems to fit the bill and the small form factor and looks have already received the seal of approval at home. Still, it feels wrong to buy anything that plays music without consulting you guys first, so here I am. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Of course, deep down this is all about the time I heard Ruark Crusader 2 speakers in Cloney as a schoolkid, and was as blown away by the sound as I was at the fact that people spent that much money ("One thousand five hundred pounds?!?!?!?!") on hifi.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Re: Clock radios. Anyone heard a Ruark R1 mk3?

Post by cybot »

Were they the bug eyed speakers from Venus? If so I remember them because myself and my fellow fi dabbler went up to Cloney's to audition them. In the main room and all too! We were left to our own devices for nearly an hour or so. Bliss!

Good luck with your clock radio search :)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think they looked normal enough by today's standards, but at that point they may have been the first floor standing speakers of any clout I'd personally seen. I was more innocent then...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:12 pm I think they looked normal enough by today's standards, but at that point they may have been the first floor standing speakers of any clout I'd personally seen. I was more innocent then...
Do you really think so? That bug eyed mid-ranger had us mesmerised :) Then again we were innocent too!

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The last clock radio I got was with petrol stamps from Maxol in about 1983. Still working too I might add. About the time "free a nipper" was around.

[ralphs voice] I'm old. [/ralphs voice]

sigh
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I bought a mono Vita R1 or something many years ago. That was a DAB radio in a virtually DAB free world, even the stations that promised to go digital never did. But as it happens, bed side I listen to RTE 1 a lot. RTE1 is DAB. The Vita R1 is basically another Ruark side show. The sound is lovely, it's like having Miriam in the bed beside you (don't ask how I know that), voices/talk is natural and untiring.
The radio will of course tune to analogue stations too. I've rarely bothered. The display on mine is an eye test but I don't use it for that.

Sound wise they are beyond reproach. After that you're on your own!

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/148478118950331214/
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This is all good stuff, thank you.

Don't worry, Fran, I also remember the free a nipper days, and regularly talk about getting stuff with petrol to the mystification of my young colleagues. Then I start singing "Find the Tiger, win 20,000" and they shuffle off nervously...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

After all that I've ordered a Revo Supersignal. Radios picked clean everywhere, apparently, place in Limerick had this one. Read that the Ruark is too bright for bedside use.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Let us know how it turns out....
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I will. My first upgrade in ages!!