Sound of my set-up

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sumotan

Re: Sound of my set-up

Post by sumotan »

Oooooh come on just break the rules 1 more time ya. It just 6-8 pcs of 3 inch high blocks just to raise
the speakers off the floor. Promise you that you'll hear something nice. lol
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ha ha!

Anyway I did try it out using extremely thick hardback books and I preferred my own setting. Suddenly that beautiful foundational bass was gone. Kaput! In fact I do recall doing something similar ages ago with the same result. Believe me, the setting I have now is most definitely not an accident. I'm glad I've proven that to myself yet again :)

Anyway a fellow music lover always maintained that the best way to improve things was by by decoupling the component from the environment. Spikes don't do that. With speakers on wooden floors they act like massive tuning forks lol! I believe him.

Finally I'm pretty impressed with the bass from your Martin Logan's. I've never heard those Logan's sound so good. Wonder what the Beatles sound like though ;)

Here's a story from long ago. A friend of mine was demoing the Howard's against the Logan's (I can't remember which model) and loved what he heard until he put on his favourite band the Beatles. The Howard's were far more forgiving, being a more all round speaker, as you would expect. Twenty years later he still has the Howard's. But he still talks about the aesthetic beauty of the Logan's and how fantastic they sounded with Jazz especially.
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Go look at the pic I posted Cybot. Notice how high my speakers are off the floor, it's about 5 inches.
That nice bass that you hear comes from this trick.
It is not about decoupling ya. If your game go give it a try, sitting speaker on thick books will not work. After you try, I'll tell you why it works

Cheers
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:16 pm Go look at the pic I posted Cybot. Notice how high my speakers are off the floor, it's about 5 inches.
That nice bass that you hear comes from this trick.
It is not about decoupling ya. If your game go give it a try, sitting speaker on thick books will not work. After you try, I'll tell you why it works

Cheers
Maybe some day when I'm in a bad mood with my dysfunctional back I'll try it out ;)
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

We're birds of a feather Cybot, I too have a bad back.

Beatle track for you. lol
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm We're birds of a feather Cybot, I too have a bad back.

Beatle track for you. lol
Ha ha! Very, very good indeed I have to say. Well done......You certainly have those revealing Martin Logan's well tamed.
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Thank you Cybot. Very poorly recorded cd though.
Beatles was my first exposure to music when I was 5 yrs or so. Played that record everyday. lol
hudo

Post by hudo »

Can you really tell anything about sound of a system from listening these phone recordings!?

I tried once, for a friend, recorded with calibrated UMIK-1 mic (nothing special but still much better than any phone) and it didn't preserve any of the qualities I wanted to, so just deleted it and never shared.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm Thank you Cybot. Very poorly recorded cd though.
Beatles was my first exposure to music when I was 5 yrs or so. Played that record everyday. lol
As the previous post attested to, it's nigh on impossible to judge the sound of a system through a live recording. But, at least you've tried and we've had great fun in the process. And, really, I have to thank you for having the guts to do it.

Last word: Whether it's a bad recording, as you say, the system should still give you the absolute essence of the recording otherwise what's the point. Do you want to listen to that dreaded 'audiophile' muck for the rest of your life? I know I don't and that's why I love each and every recording that presents itself and simply stomps the mark of the original producer whether it be George Martin or Conny Plank. I rest my case.....
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

So I didn't listen to the sound clip because I honestly don't think it will convey the attributes of your system.

But I'll try to give you some advice anyway.

We use LIFEPO4 batteries and lately supercap based power supplies a lot here.

The latest DAC project is supercap based, seems supercaps is the way to go for digital. I'm planning to make a supercap PS for my next dac, but not quite ready to start that project yet.

You can also get very good results with A123 lifepo4 batteries, and they are actually pretty easy to use. They are lithium batteries and care must be taken, but lifepo4's are easier to charge then other lithium batteries, basically they just need a constant voltage to charge, so a basic regulated linear supply works fine.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones