Wilko Johnston

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Wilko Johnston

Post by Ivor »

The legend that is Wilko Johnston is playing The Leeson Lounge on September 28th. I'll wait while you read that again. The Leeson Lounge. Wilko.

I grew up on Dr Feelgood gigs and they taught me a lot about blues, R&B and what guitar bass and drums can do. Wilko's Solid Senders provided the sweatiest gig I was ever at in McGonigles circa 1979 and I have reason to doubt that a gig in a little pub on the Grand Canal will be anything less than life changing.

http://www.facebook.com/WilkoJohnsonBan ... 137&ref=ts

There's a documentary on Dr Feelgood on heavy rotation on BBC4 at the moment called "Oil City Confidential". Worth watching for any fan of real honest unpretentious music.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Naimaste

Re: Wilko Johnston

Post by Naimaste »

Ivor, well spotted- I'd be keen not to miss this too. IIRC I saw him playing with Feelgood in the Edmund Burke theatre in Trinity c 1978! Is this a ticket gig?
John
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Naimaste wrote:Ivor, well spotted- I'd be keen not to miss this too. IIRC I saw him playing with Feelgood in the Edmund Burke theatre in Trinity c 1978! Is this a ticket gig?
John
It is a ticket gig alright although you might be able to pay at the door except that the first night is now sold out and a second night (29th) added. Tickets available from the Leeson Lounge itself.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I got a bit of an oul' Press Release

As part of The Ranelagh Arts Festival, The legendary Wilko Johnson of Dr Feelgood will be playing at The Leeson Lounge, Upper Leeson Street.
Playing his inimitable Thames Delta style electric guitar Wilko's band is Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe of The Blockheads.
This is a small venue and tickets are limited to 100 per night available in advance at The Leeson Lounge.

Also on 23rd Sept, At The Leeson Lounge a screening of "Oil City Confidential" Julien Temple's documentary film of Dr Feelgood featuring Wilko. Free Entry.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
Tertonmike

Post by Tertonmike »

Thanks for the tip-off Ivor. Would love to have gone to this - the Feelgoods were the first band I ever saw live (Stadium c. 1975?) and Wilko's a one-off (and a diamond geezer to boot!). Not feasible for me as it happens as I'll be away for the 2nd night. I did notice that the tix are €30 a throw even though the Cork gig earlier in the week is only €15. What's that all about then - economies of scale?
"Music is the antidote to the world of pain and sorrow"
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I have a ticket spare for this gig on wed night - anyone interested in the ticket at face value?
Derek

Post by Derek »

Fran, OK you talked me into it,
I'm a cheep date so don't be late
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ticket now gone!

Fran
cybot

Post by cybot »

Yis'll all be duckwalking after the gig :-) Enjoy...

Image Image
Last edited by cybot on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.