Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote:
cybot wrote:
Did you get the Taste IOW vinyl yet? It's only amazing! And the DVD is just something else....Happy days :)
Cool - check the tracks out! I am without a decent record player I'm afraid so feel it might be best to stick with getting the Isle of Wight CD - did you hear the remastered CD as well or was that the DVD of the "What’s Going On" version?

BTW, the other old live album from Taste was 'Live Taste' - IMHO it's a little disappointing - fairly good overall but short on tracks (five) and not outstanding except for Gallagher's solo rendition of Gambler Blues. Its dated as a 1970 performance but thought it was earlier as it only has tracks from the debut.
No that that was from the DVD version.

The Live Taste (from Montreux) was a few months earlier and because the sound from both wasn't great and with a similar track listing it was hard to ascertain which was the superior performance. Actually I must go back and have another listen just to see :) Still it's the sheer energy of the band that blows me away.......every time.

I remember back in the day when my 'cool' friend with his brand new portable cassette player and uber taste in music - Paranoid, Machine Head, Free Live, Zep 4 (his first buys!!) - completely dismissed Rory.........for his vocals lol! He thought they were awful! In those days and for years after Rory wasn't 'cool' for me either. The shame :( Anyway I missed all the concerts I could have seen and I regret that that to this very day. I still cannot remember how the conversion came about but I'm proud to say I did actually see him live once at the Guinness Blues Festival about two years before his untimely passing in front of the Central Bank in Dublin. The man in black hit the stage with an almighty explosion in the guise of I Wonder Who which simply flattened the worshipping hordes all around me. Magic :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Triple vinyl heaven especially sides 5&6's 40 minute 'Homemade Traditional Electric Jam.....'
Hard to believe his 22nd offering is just out!

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: The Live Taste (from Montreux) was a few months earlier and because the sound from both wasn't great and with a similar track listing it was hard to ascertain which was the superior performance. Actually I must go back and have another listen just to see :) Still it's the sheer energy of the band that blows me away.......every time.
Yeah the Live Taste album must have been earlier because Rory split from the band shortly after the Isle of Wight gig. I felt the original Isle of Wight album was the better of the two in terms of performance but Live Taste was cleaner sounding though I haven't AB-ed on good sounding gear as I don't have Isle of Wight anymore. Here are two particularly good bootleg tracks taken from a gig in Basel, Switzerland, February 1st 1970 – I'd say not too many played the blues as great as this at 21!

SUGAR MAMA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b22TaZtXSrI

What's Going On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYI9-5zkmJM
I remember back in the day when my 'cool' friend with his brand new portable cassette player and uber taste in music - Paranoid, Machine Head, Free Live, Zep 4 (his first buys!!) - completely dismissed Rory.........for his vocals lol! He thought they were awful! In those days and for years after Rory wasn't 'cool' for me either. The shame
Yeah Rory had a very meat 'n' potatoes image when I started to listen in the 80s if I recall correctly. Perhaps he was seen as old fashioned during his heyday - I was surprised to hear that his early albums often got poor reviews in Rolling Stone etc.
tweber

Post by tweber »

I remember back in the day when my 'cool' friend with his brand new portable cassette player and uber taste in music - Paranoid, Machine Head, Free Live, Zep 4 (his first buys!!) - completely dismissed Rory.........for his vocals lol! He thought they were awful! In those days and for years after Rory wasn't 'cool' for me either. The shame :( Anyway I missed all the concerts I could have seen and I regret that that to this very day. I still cannot remember how the conversion came about but I'm proud to say I did actually see him live once at the Guinness Blues Festival about two years before his untimely passing in front of the Central Bank in Dublin. The man in black hit the stage with an almighty explosion in the guise of I Wonder Who which simply flattened the worshipping hordes all around me. Magic :)
Was there too-Ronnie Drew came on for a version of Barley and Grape Rag. New line up too, no Gerry McAvoy or Brendan O'Neill.
Is here, complete with abusive idiot just before I Wonder Who - great version too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jP47MFLsE
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote:
cybot wrote: The Live Taste (from Montreux) was a few months earlier and because the sound from both wasn't great and with a similar track listing it was hard to ascertain which was the superior performance. Actually I must go back and have another listen just to see :) Still it's the sheer energy of the band that blows me away.......every time.
Yeah the Live Taste album must have been earlier because Rory split from the band shortly after the Isle of Wight gig. I felt the original Isle of Wight album was the better of the two in terms of performance but Live Taste was cleaner sounding though I haven't AB-ed on good sounding gear as I don't have Isle of Wight anymore. Here are two particularly good bootleg tracks taken from a gig in Basel, Switzerland, February 1st 1970 – I'd say not too many played the blues as great as this at 21!

SUGAR MAMA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b22TaZtXSrI

What's Going On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYI9-5zkmJM
I remember back in the day when my 'cool' friend with his brand new portable cassette player and uber taste in music - Paranoid, Machine Head, Free Live, Zep 4 (his first buys!!) - completely dismissed Rory.........for his vocals lol! He thought they were awful! In those days and for years after Rory wasn't 'cool' for me either. The shame
Yeah Rory had a very meat 'n' potatoes image when I started to listen in the 80s if I recall correctly. Perhaps he was seen as old fashioned during his heyday - I was surprised to hear that his early albums often got poor reviews in Rolling Stone etc.
Great find from Basel :)

I think the real reason we dismissed Rory in those heady early days was simply because we couldn't grasp the fact that here we had a 21 year old man conquering the World! And he was bloody Irish! No way we said :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Two from the dusty vaults......

Two bands in their infancy trying to be brave to do something different....

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote:Two from the dusty vaults......

I remember striking parallels between In the Wake of Poseidon and King Crimson's debut - perhaps most notably on "Pictures of a City" versus "21st Century..." - but still impressive stuff, particularly on tracks like Cadence and Cascade - quite a melody that!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote:
cybot wrote:Two from the dusty vaults......

I remember striking parallels between In the Wake of Poseidon and King Crimson's debut - perhaps most notably on "Pictures of a City" versus "21st Century..." - but still impressive stuff, particularly on tracks like Cadence and Cascade - quite a melody that!
I never got that but then I tend to listen,forget and listen again anew :) Seriously though you're right with POAC and those heavenly mellotron sounds!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Two of KC's weirdest offerings?

I had absolutely no chance of even getting to the end of Side One of 'Lizard' back in those hazy days. Hated it with a vengeance. Roll forward almost 40 years and only now it is starting to make sense lol!

'Islands' is only a recent buy. Completely bypassed me. Wonder why :) Another weird unsettling listen and all the better for it. Definitely Mel Collins finest moment methinks.....

Just goes to show how progressive the groups were back then......and they were to be found in the Pop section lol!!!

cybot

Post by cybot »