Memory settings in BIOS

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: Memory settings in BIOS

Post by rickmcinnis »

sbgk,

I wish it wasn't a secret but it is.

All in good time.

Sorry to be cryptic but this is why I have nicknamed it the FIGHT CLUB player and I have already broken the first two rules ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

BIOS pictures can be found where I put the SOEKRIS pictures.

http://jalbum.net/a/1682528

They are in order.

I think this is pretty amazing BIOS for a sixty dollars board. I have little to go on but I think this might be the best board for audio.

Certainly the BIOS is superior to the GIGABYTE and MSI boards I have used recently.

Stable as hell - I have yet to lose my BIOS even with all kinds of insults to the board.

Now to get that memory remotely powered and try my hand at the MB clock. If only I could be sure how to wire them up! TCXOs that is.

Going to use this for memory power: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/slvu143-95300.pdf

Jonathan - we are talking about two kinds of speed - the speed of the clock and the time between operations. We have slowed down the clock but we have decreased the intervals between actions.
jrling

Post by jrling »

I do understand that, but the two seem to act against each other?

Surely if you want the highest throughput through RAM then you want highest speed (1066 it appears in your case) and the shortest timing interval as you say?

No need to continue - I am happy that it is working well for you.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:BIOS pictures can be found where I put the SOEKRIS pictures.

http://jalbum.net/a/1682528

They are in order.

I think this is pretty amazing BIOS for a sixty dollars board. I have little to go on but I think this might be the best board for audio.

Certainly the BIOS is superior to the GIGABYTE and MSI boards I have used recently.

Stable as hell - I have yet to lose my BIOS even with all kinds of insults to the board.

Now to get that memory remotely powered and try my hand at the MB clock. If only I could be sure how to wire them up! TCXOs that is.

Going to use this for memory power: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/slvu143-95300.pdf

Jonathan - we are talking about two kinds of speed - the speed of the clock and the time between operations. We have slowed down the clock but we have decreased the intervals between actions.

pcie devices power disabled
usb card not working

very tweakable bios though

will the ram do less ras

is the ram frequency adjustable to 800mhz
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:I do understand that, but the two seem to act against each other?

Surely if you want the highest throughput through RAM then you want highest speed (1066 it appears in your case) and the shortest timing interval as you say?

No need to continue - I am happy that it is working well for you.

Jonathan
kinda like a balance of speed vs noise
we can regain some speed by shorting the timings although you shorten it too much maybe cause errors
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I showed you all of the screens so I guess it is not separately adjustable. I figure the CPU speed is carried over to the memory but I do not know. Looked at a few internet articles and it seems that is the case unless the board has a memory divider which this one must not. I think we can assume CPU and RAM are running at the same speed

Does your board allow a separate adjustment? I figure one could go as low as 400?

Why would one need PCI-e power with the card powered thorugh the riser? The PCI-e USB card is working fine. I do not use on board USB for anything.

All settings are as low as they can go.

How much lower do you think RAS should go? Those numbers are as low as I have seen.

Maybe another memory stick would allow even lower settings but all of the other ones I have seen are much higher latency so I would doubt it. Not much choice these days for 2gb RAM.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Should have mentioned, again, the POST time remains incredibly slow, a little over two minutes but when the player is selected that comes up even faster than before I was playing around with this stuff. Just zips through it.

Cannot find anything on the internet to explain this, as if I have seen everything.

tREFI - I tried lower but it will not then recognize the PCI-e card. But 300 is vastly smaller than the default value of 4160. Trying to get a better understanding of this. This setting might be too low or it might be the cause of the slow post. Seems like a fast refresh would be good but it also might be wearing out the memory.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I tried to do last night a "blind chicken changes" in my BIOS and the only thing that I noticed is that mu CPU temperature was raising from 38 to 52 in maybe 15 minutes!
Than I exit the BIOS, play some music and temperature went down.

Is there something wrong with my BIOS...........or with me?!

My wife will know the answer, even without knowing what BIOS mean!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote:I tried to do last night a "blind chicken changes" in my BIOS and the only thing that I noticed is that mu CPU temperature was raising from 38 to 52 in maybe 15 minutes!

You know the answer! but maybe in this case your mobo sensed your anxiety in bios settings??

Haven't noticed that happening before maybe it is just working more when you are making changes to the bias. If temperature is normally stable on the 38 I wouldn't worry
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:
sima66 wrote:I tried to do last night a "blind chicken changes" in my BIOS and the only thing that I noticed is that mu CPU temperature was raising from 38 to 52 in maybe 15 minutes!

You know the answer! but maybe in this case your mobo sensed your anxiety in bios settings??

Haven't noticed that happening before maybe it is just working more when you are making changes to the bias. If temperature is normally stable on the 38 I wouldn't worry
I knew that you would agree with my wife!

The thing is that I didn't change anything in the BIOS, just watching and trying to figure out what is what!
I was just looking smart and temperature raise! Maybe my brain was boiling!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS