Any recommendations for car body repair?

jkeny

Any recommendations for car body repair?

Post by jkeny »

I know it's not Hi-Fi but has anybody got a recommendation for a good car body repair shop for my SLK?

I have a ding from a builder's truck which I need repairing but more importantly I have some rust in the wheel arches which is creeping around onto the side panels.

I'm particularly interested in rust treatment & prevention - I don't want to have to revisit this problem so someone who does a good panel respray & knows a bit about rust prevention. Any body repair shops I've spoken to haven't mentioned anything about rust prevention treatment after respraying.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Re: Any recommendations for car body repair?

Post by Ivor »

In the past I've used Frank Trunk - he's behind the ex synagogue on South Circular Road, between St Kevins and Leonards corner. He's very good. No messin' about, not the cheapest but he knows his stuff.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Ivor
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Terry

Post by Terry »

These lads are excellent John... http://www.fitzwilliamgarage.com

Very professional.

Terry
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Terry.
www.Ciunas.biz
sebna

Post by sebna »

I can give you the list of who not to use... so far I have only found those type of panel-beaters. So far two :)

I did full rust treatment two years ago on my Mazda MX-5 and rust was back after 12 months... in same spots.. and welded piece of steal has separated from the body :D ... so I will not be coming back to that guy, that is for sure... he was supposed to be good.

Cannot remember the name ATM but will post it later.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks, Seb - this is what I want to avoid - revisiting the problem in a year or so.

I called into Fitzwilliam garage & talked to Joe - I wasn't too impressed with his responses about the rust treatment. He may be a good repair & respray garage but didn't instill confidence about treating rust. Problem is after a respray there is no way for me to examine the work to check if the rust has been adequately dealt with - it's really a matter of trust (not rust, haha).

BTW, what did the rust treatment consist of? My rust is just surface rust, AFAIK. My research tells me that after sanding down to bare metal some form of rust stopper acid is first used, washed off/cleaned up & almost immediately primer has to be applied or the surface becomes contaminated again. I'm also interested in some form of wax or barrier treatment on the inner surface of the wheel arches which is where I mostly have the problem.
www.Ciunas.biz
Terry

Post by Terry »

Joe @ Fitzwilliam garage is highly reputable and well regarded as one if the best in the trade. He guarantees his work. Don't be put off by his casual/nonchalant way. Suggest you press him on your concerns. Not happy that his reputation could be sullied without having a chance to respond.
Last edited by Terry on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Terry wrote:Joe @ Futzwilliam garage is highly reputable and well regarded as one if the best in the trade. He guarantees his work. Don't be put off by his casual/nonchalant way. Suggest you press him on your concerns. Not happy that his reputation could be sullied without having a chance to respond.
Didn't mean to sully his reputation - it was my impression of my meeting with him - maybe just his laid-back approach? - he may be the best in the business but he didn't make any guarantees about the rust when I asked him about this specifically (There were also some other answers I didn't like concerning the job) - as I said, it's a matter of trust as I have no way of checking the underlying work after the it has been resprayed - I can't find any reviews or otherwise about the garage.
www.Ciunas.biz