Fanless Cooler

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Fanless Cooler

Post by nige2000 »

motberg wrote:Hi,

My current server is a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, I5-4670t, NOFAN CR-95c, 2x4 GB Corsair, TeraDak 210 ATX LPS with separate 5V line for PPA V2 USB card, the 64GB OS SSD is using a PPA battery pack, PS/2 mouse, USB back-lit keyboard, on-board video, 256GB SSD for music (all WAV files), both SSD's use PPA red thin SATA cables. WIN2012 and AO (1A, no USB optimization).

Been using this NOFAN CR-95c basket thing for about 4 months with no problems.. when I was researching this - the CR-95 got much better reviews than the cheaper model IIRC...
ive a cr-95c in my desktop pc
recommended but still think a lump of alu or brass will do it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I enjoy the continuing brass "theme" but copper is superior in every way as a conductor of heat plus I suspect it has better damping qualities.

Cannot imagine a lump of any metal being a good heatsink - not to say it should be thin and spindly.

I have used 8mm copper plate for heatsinking many times, but not with CPUs. Made for a very good heatsink for chipamps when I was using those. It does not ring.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

rickmcinnis wrote:I enjoy the continuing brass "theme" but copper is superior in every way as a conductor of heat plus I suspect it has better damping qualities.

Cannot imagine a lump of any metal being a good heatsink - not to say it should be thin and spindly.

I have used 8mm copper plate for heatsinking many times, but not with CPUs. Made for a very good heatsink for chipamps when I was using those. It does not ring.
Copper is better like a conductor, but I never like it either under or on top of the equipment! It suck the life of music, deaden the sound!
On the other hand, brass is the best and my favourite material that I tried!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

That is interesting.

Must admit I have never tried comparing copper and brass - one of those assumptions that copper is best and that is that!

Sucking the life out of music is one of those things that depends on how lively the system was to begin with! I must admit I have not detected the effects you mention - but your comments make me want to explore further.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

my haswell cpu consumes less than 10w at 800mhz heat aint a big issue

the brass thing for anti-vibration is a sort of running joke
we've no idea why it works not to mention better than other materials
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

motberg wrote:Hi,

My current server is a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, I5-4670t, NOFAN CR-95c, 2x4 GB Corsair, TeraDak 210 ATX LPS with separate 5V line for PPA V2 USB card, the 64GB OS SSD is using a PPA battery pack, PS/2 mouse, USB back-lit keyboard, on-board video, 256GB SSD for music (all WAV files), both SSD's use PPA red thin SATA cables. WIN2012 and AO (1A, no USB optimization).

Been using this NOFAN CR-95c basket thing for about 4 months with no problems.. when I was researching this - the CR-95 got much better reviews than the cheaper model IIRC...
Hi motberg thanks it looks a nice thing alright and if I end up needing something it is high on the list but as Nigel suggests I will see what happens when I manage to get it built and running.
Brass is in situ in the streacom case(just a square the size of the cpu cover. Adam loves the stuff and we had to try. I can't say whether it does work or not but there is a logic to it! Well our logic!!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 wrote:my haswell cpu consumes less than 10w at 800mhz heat aint a big issue

the brass thing for anti-vibration is a sort of running joke
we've no idea why it works not to mention better than other materials
That is why I referred to the "theme" since I thought it was something of a joke at least as a cpu cooler!

Well, it is winter and I am sure Ireland is cooler than Georgia in the summer. Heat does become an issue! Maybe one can actually use such a thing?

Of course, there are always fans! Whether a fan blowing on a big lump of brass would cool a CPU is something I do not know. There are some very quiet fans.

Damping the motherboard/cpu with the weight of a brass block is worthy of consideration. But I would worry one might lose the cpu, even at 800 hhz, with a brass block as the cooler.

Sebna, are you using nothing more than a brass block on your cpu? Even in the summer? Forgive my laziness at not looking at the old posts.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well you could use the stock cooler remove the fan and place your brass block on it
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 wrote:well you could use the stock cooler remove the fan and place your brass block on it
Stock cooler? No way!

I would think applying some extra pressure to the block/.cpu interface (I could not think of another word; makes me cringe, too) would be needed.

I will have to start looking for some brass chucks and see what happens. I certainly am skeptical of a heatsink that can sound like wind chimes. Which every one I have ever used could double as.
tony

Post by tony »

rickmcinnis wrote:I would think applying some extra pressure to the block/.cpu interface (I could not think of another word; makes me cringe, too) would be needed.

I will have to start looking for some brass chucks and see what happens. I certainly am skeptical of a heatsink that can sound like wind chimes. Which every one I have ever used could double as.
:) wind chimes! Definitely out now but will probably wimp out and put some kind of pipe arrangement. The ebay ones linked seem reasonably priced.
BTW I had a lump of granite on top of the brass with no issue but see the worry.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.