VCR tape to DVD

Rocker

VCR tape to DVD

Post by Rocker »

Guys, I know it can be done but how would I go about transferring VCR tapes to DVDs. I have a VCR player, a DVD writer/hard drive unit and a computer with a DVD writer. A lot of technology and not much idea on how to use it. We were quoted €15 per VCR tape. Madness to pay that much per tape. So diy is best but how. Thanks.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Re: VCR tape to DVD

Post by Ivor »

Have a look at the link below - it will show you step by step. The problem will be to get the cable that goes from the VHS player to to USB and that might not be too difficult at all.

Despite the link being one piece of software you can go for a lot of different video capture/editing programmes, your Windows may even have it as standard already.
http://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/capturevhs.html

obviously as you save the tapes to the hard drive put them in logical folders and when all that's done start burning them to DVD.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Thanks Ivor. I will ask in PCWorld if they have this cable. Seems easy enough from there. I will report on my findings....

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rocker wrote:Thanks Ivor. I will ask in PCWorld if they have this cable. ..

Good luck with that! Bring a picture of it!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I see what you mean Ivor. Yesterday I checked in Expert to no avail. They have a wall of cables and adapters etc but not what I was looking for. Not as easy as I hoped...

Beware of a thin chef!
Rob

Post by Rob »

You most probably know this already but if the DVD writer/hard drive unit is one thats designed for use with televisions, then it should have a large scart socket on the rear that you can plug into your VCR.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Rocker,

I have a yoke from Lidl that goes from VCR to USB - should be just what you need.

It works, but in truth is a pain in the ass to do. Only worth it for must have VCR tapes - family etc etc.

Also, VCR tape degrades over time, a tip I got from another member here is to fast forward and rewind the tape a few times and it often helps with noise bands top or bottom of screen....

Give us a shout if you want to borrow my one. I bought to do my wedding video and a few other home vids from the 80s and not used it since.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Not working as I expected. No surprise there. Scart to Scart - no joy. I will try that thing you got from Aldi Fran. Feeling pretty close to filling a black plastic sack with VCR tapes and a Sony player. Chopping and changing cables in situ is a nightmare. Scart is nasty as the plug can get slightly pulled and still look correctly fitted. Don't ask me how I came to know this snippet of information. I will phone you Fran re the loan of the cable...

Beware of a thin chef!