New Releases

mcq

Re: New Releases

Post by mcq »

A few things that I'm looking forward to.

The Seon Collection, an 85-CD box devoted to the period music label, Seon (precursor of Vivarte).

The music of Johann Hermann Schein on the excellent Ramée label.

World premiere of the late version of the Bach St. Mark Passion.

A live production from the 2014 Gottingen Festival of Handel's Joshua.

Fabio Biondi directs an oratorio by the always interesting Caldara.

Weinberg's violin concerto coupled with his Fourth Symphony.

I found CPO's recordings of Aulis Sallinen's symphonic works deeply rewarding.  This recording of the man's cello sonata and piano trio should be very interesting.

Isabelle Faust's version of the Schumann violin concerto with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra coupled with the third piano trio.

I'm really looking forward to this.  A performance of Lalande's Leçons de Ténèbres from Harmonia Mundi's most important signing of recent years, Ensemble Correspondences and their conductor, Sébastien Daucé.

Ottavio Dantone's take on Rossini's beautiful Petite Messe Solennelle

String quartets by Janáček and Martinu performed by the Doric String Quartet, perhaps the most important signing for Chandos since Jean-Efflam Bavouzet.

Brilliant Classics reissue Rene Jacobs' version of the Bach B Minor Mass (formerly available on Berlin Classics).

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I would certainly be interested in the Biondi / Caldara and the Jacobs Bach Mass in B minor.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is one that I certainly would like to hear....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:I would certainly be interested in the Biondi / Caldara and the Jacobs Bach Mass in B minor.

The Jacobs B minor Mass is over 20 years old, it´s fine enough for sure, just don´t expect the standard of his more recent St. Matthew Passion.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:
The Jacobs B minor Mass is over 20 years old, it´s fine enough for sure, just don´t expect the standard of his more recent St. Matthew Passion.
That is OK Pepe; being on the Brilliant label I knew that it would be an older reissue. I would still be interested in hearing it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Due for release on 20 November 2015....

....details here....

http://umusicdirect.com/classics/*/Box- ... SHS04G6000
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Due for release on 20 November 2015....

....details here....

http://umusicdirect.com/classics/*/Box- ... SHS04G6000
Thanks for the information Fergus, that is a fantastic set and is a steal at £60. I have the Beethoven and Mozart sets, the Brahms, most of the Schubert and Debussy too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Thanks for the information Fergus, that is a fantastic set and is a steal at £60. I have the Beethoven and Mozart sets, the Brahms, most of the Schubert and Debussy too.
Yes Seán, great value but you have pinpointed the problem with a lot of these box sets in that one tends to have quite a number of the individual releases. Still, for someone starting off or new to this ensemble it is a must have at the price I would think.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Yes Seán, great value but you have pinpointed the problem with a lot of these box sets in that one tends to have quite a number of the individual releases. Still, for someone starting off or new to this ensemble it is a must have at the price I would think.
I couldn't agree more. They were a marvellous ensemble; they are my favourite string quartet.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler