Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

DaveF

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by DaveF »

PeterK wrote:The gates are open to everybody to guess what it is, I suspect some of you will get it immediately, but it is the one upgrade you should consider given the lack of a discernible difference you have experienced with the gear you have road tested on the CDP front end.
Good to hear from you again Peter. I'm afraid I've no idea what upgrade you're refering to here. :-) (better be not a cable :-)
Just to reiterate, I did hear differences between the various DACs sometimes but they were much smaller when I made a better effort to level match. However my system sounds a lot better with its new placement so I wonder would that change things now.
My TT is back in action too and sounds better than ever. I think digital has a bit to go yet.

Is that the Roksan Xerex 20 Plus you have Peter? Definitely one on my wish list but it would have to be in the Rosewood finish! :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Hi Dave,

It is the Xerses 20 I have but not in rosewood unfortunately, piano balck which is quite nice, agree about digital, and no the upgrade is not a cable, :-) I will let the cat out the bag when somebody gets it which I'm sure will happen soon. Agree that placement can make such a difference, if you ever want to come out for a listen just pm me and we can set up an evening or weekend afternoon.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Hi Peter,

PM sent.

Dont think anyone has guessed this magical upgrade you talk about. :-) Perhaps we need a Guess the Upgrade thread.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
tony

Post by tony »

Supertweeters and all your dac problems and concerns will be over
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Hi Dave and Tony

I was thinking of such a thread, but I am a little lazy posting. Tony, I have had the super tweeters for a while now, and the new piece of kit is on trial at the moment. As soon as I put it my wife was commenting very favourably and saying I really need it, I nearly fell off the chair, the children were no less enthusiastic. This has never ever happened before with any upgrade or purchase. My wife said, you know when you ask me can I hear a difference when a new component is introduced, and I say I hear no difference, well this time I really hear it and I really like it and you should immediately play me ………!!!!

Keep on guessing guys!!!

regards,

Peter
tony

Post by tony »

Ok didn't realize it was new. Has to be Dave's Devialet. Probably fits the bill as you like taking his cast offs!
If it is that your wife is hearing that with her eyes and how invisible it will be compared to the airtight
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Hi Tony,

Not a cast off but a brand new bit of kit!!

Peter
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

And no it is not a replacement for any existing bit of kit but is something I never got before.

Peter
tony

Post by tony »

Earplugs for the family!

Last guess sub woofer but maybe its shakti stones(5 of them!)
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

My daughter is a music college student, Rock college BIMM and RIAM Diploma, feet in both camps and has plenty of earplugs, so good try Tony. Very disappointed you haven't guessed!!