granite speaker plinth

Maciej

granite speaker plinth

Post by Maciej »

Hello,

I know I did not rediscover America, but perhaps you forgot to share something that might be relatively cheap but sufficient upgrade. You would need to pay 30-40£ on EBay for set like this with nice tag pretending I am very special;)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... RANITE.htm

Regards
Maciej
Ken Moreland

Re: granite speaker plinth

Post by Ken Moreland »

Maciej, these are good too http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... 418862.htm

I use them under speakers.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Ken Moreland wrote:Maciej, these are good too http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... 418862.htm

I use them under speakers.

KM
Dose the middle part/bar has any use? Or just as the base support for the speakers?
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Good morning, Maciej.
The middle part goes in the bin , I just use the granite slab under speakers. You can use Argos website to check the stock in a store near you.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

SDiesel77 linked the argos stuff maybe a year ago or longer. I got some. They are kinda place mat size and a sort of whitish speckled black granite if that makes sense. Use them under my rack.
Wouldn't be wild on them due to size and colour. But they are very inexpensive.

Tesco do granite chopping boards or bread boards can't remember but they are bigger and
much more natural deep black granite. Definitely more expensive. I use these under speakers
but noticed a guy in Scalford had his Lampizator dac/transporter and power supply all carried one
on the top.Fitted perfectly maybe Lukasz made his cases purposely that way!!
This guy thought the weight helped sound wise.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

tony wrote:SDiesel77 linked the argos stuff maybe a year ago or longer. I got some. They are kinda place mat size and a sort of whitish speckled black granite if that makes sense. Use them under my rack.
Wouldn't be wild on them due to size and colour. But they are very inexpensive.

Tesco do granite chopping boards or bread boards can't remember but they are bigger and
much more natural deep black granite. Definitely more expensive. I use these under speakers
but noticed a guy in Scalford had his Lampizator dac/transporter and power supply all carried one
on the top.Fitted perfectly maybe Lukasz made his cases purposely that way!!
This guy thought the weight helped sound wise.

It’s not the prettiest one I agree. I guess the price for granite or marble depends on the pattern and exclusivity. This one has to be pretty common specie.
I have darker one and bit thicker under my speakers. I bought it while ago on EBay before I had idea to check Argos catalogue.

The one I bought from Argos I use under my Meridian which I use as transport feeding Lampizator......I am not sure but I think I noticed tighter, more controlled bass. Once I put it under I did not bother to remove it, I like the way it is.

There are some photos of Lukasz gluing thick wooden plinth to the bottom of his modified Philips CD-940 player. I am not going to glue mine anyway just in case I would like to sell it, people want original and it’s hard to persuade them those upgrades makes any difference.

Regards
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Yes for the budget they're really good bargain

Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

sdiesel77 wrote:Yes for the budget they're really good bargain

Hi,

Did you notice any difference after adding the blocks? Was it as much for the amp as for the turntable?
Your rack seems to be sturdy and weighty enough....
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

sdiesel77 wrote:Yes for the budget they're really good bargain

just of subject a little sdiesel nice to see an unusual record player-did you make the plinth yourself
i would be very interested in older record players and the garrards seem to have best results with cherry plinth wood and the technics sp10 best results with slate plinth
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

IMO the granite for my setup was purely for the look, no effect on sound with this rack. However on with my previous shitty rack it helped under the turntable.

The turntable has been built from a whole piece of mahogany wood and the platter has been nicely cut by Gerri.
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..