JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Audio]
"Scheduling Category"="High"
"GPU Priority"=dword:0000001f
"Affinity"=dword:00000000
"Clock Rate"=dword:0000e2c2
"SFIO Priority"="High"
"Priority"=dword:00000001
"Background Only"="False"
"BackgroundPriority"=dword:00000001

why have the priority at 1 ? documentation says if set to 8 it reverts to 2.
yes, you are right.

make sure priority is lowest possible. if set at 2, i won't remember why it is 2.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jesuscheung wrote:---tweak number 4----

1. uninstall all .NET.
2. uninstall all Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.

3. install Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013. do a minimum install. (if you need a registration key, google it. i have msdn, when i download it, it has a static key, same key for everyone i think)
4. uninstall all the SQL craps that are installed along with that VS2013.
5. don't uninstall silverlight and anything else that came with that VS2013.

6. install Intel® C++ Composer XE 2013 SP1 for Windows
http://software.intel.com/en-us/article ... or-windows

VS2013 will have all the latest .net and ms C++ packages. whatever you system has that uses those packages will get a performance boost. hence SQ increases.

MQn, foobar, jplay, youtube, mpc... should all get better SQ.

if you don't like the sound of Intel C++, uninstall it. takes two seconds.

the idea originates in the XA blog.
tried this today on a copy of my best R2 install
seemed to have a positive effect which is good

vs13 is a big install more than 5 gb how much bloat can be trimmed off without effecting sq
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
vs13 is a big install more than 5 gb how much bloat can be trimmed off without effecting sq
is vs 2013 really going to have more up to date files than ws 2012 r2 ?

mqn is built using vs 2013, if that helps. used to have the intel drivers, but have removed them as didn't think they were doing anything for the SQ.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

mqn is built using vs 2013, if that helps. used to have the intel drivers, but have removed them as didn't think they were doing anything for the SQ.
yes thought that too, whats new since r2
i really dunno what it is different but seemed to be extra clarity not huge but id consider it outside the boundaries of imagination
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

visual studio has a proper ordering of installing ms C++ 2005, 2008.... to 2012. periodic software update of visual studio will get you the latest ms C++.

you can also install ms C++ individually. but don't install ms C++ from newest to oldest, SQ shall be damaged.
e.g. installing 2012 first, and 2008 after, this is bad.

say you already have C++ 2012, you overwrite and install again, this is also bad for SQ. that's why vs 2013 is easier to install

from experience, if you have vs2012, or 2013, you are on the developer side, which is usually better than in a production environment (ie business side). better permission and things.

if you don't like the sound of intel C++, uninstall it. NO NEED TO RESTART COMPUTER. SQ CHANGES IMMEDIATELY. i think it makes bad worse and good better. maybe only good for better tuned OS.

if VS2013 ultimate is too big for you, try a different version! and tell me if it is any better for SQ.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote: yes thought that too, whats new since r2
i really dunno what it is different but seemed to be extra clarity not huge but id consider it outside the boundaries of imagination
r2 has a different tune than r1.
r2 has more clarity than r1.
i don't hear anything else is difference.

7 is a lot different to 8/2012. i am still not convinced XA's claim that 7 is better than 8/2012. though i am hearing good things i never did before using his custom built 7.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:

7 is a lot different to 8/2012. i am still not convinced XA's claim that 7 is better than 8/2012. though i am hearing good things i never did before using his custom built 7.
one of the main problems with XA is the digital sound and one of the main problems with 7 is the digital sound, so what do they sound like combined ? Or is that not a concern.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:

one of the main problems with XA is the digital sound and one of the main problems with 7 is the digital sound, so what do they sound like combined ? Or is that not a concern.
install that customized 7 and only install DAC driver. neither MQn nor XA sounds digital to me.

in the old days i stripped-down 7 to a few GB installation. it didn't sound digital to me. it just had a lot of earaches because i removed too many components.

i find XA ultra sensitive to tuning. XA sounds completely different in 7, R1 and R2. MQn is quite consistent in all 3 OS.

one thing 7 is superior to r1 and r2 is the treble.

XA does sound quite bad in R1.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote: one of the main problems with XA is the digital sound and one of the main problems with 7 is the digital sound, so what do they sound like combined ? Or is that not a concern.
actually, did you install reclock? XA depends on it.

---TWEAK NUMBER 6---

normal install:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573927/reclock ... rst-second
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-145999.html
mod:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_72b3301c0100v1xj.html

if you don't know how to setup. just follow exactly on the XA blog. SQ should be effective immediately.

unlike intel C++, i never heard a negative comment on reclock regarding SQ. so it must be useful, i guess.

i still don't understand what it is. i always have it installed. someone explain to me would be great.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

when jplay streaming i had a notion that a win 7 control and win 8/server 2012 r1 for audio pc was the best combination
veered off to MQn before i got to test

i assume XA needs all these win 7 tweaks to sound good, ive never tried it

For those that arent worried about XA is there any point dragging win 7 win 8 and r1 with us, should we not keep up to date as long as the results are still good