What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Bruckner: Symphony No. 6, Klemperer....

I have that recording on CD, it was my first introduction to Bruckner and I LOVED it.
It is indeed a wonderful recording Seán.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler 1, Kubelik....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Mahler 1, Kubelik....

Magnificent, isn't it?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

Magnificent, isn't it?
I know that I will be shot for this but it was never one of my favourites Seán.
When I was cataloguing it last night I noticed that I have another M1 conducted by Kubelik, this time played by the Vienna Philharmonic. I must do a comparison between the two versions some time.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Magnificent, isn't it?
I know that I will be shot for this but it was never one of my favourites Seán.
I'll just get my gun and I'll see you within the hour.
When I was cataloguing it last night I noticed that I have another M1 conducted by Kubelik, this time played by the Vienna Philharmonic. I must do a comparison between the two versions some time.
If it's the 1954 recording I have that too, and nah, I prefer the Maestro's first recording with the BRSO to the VPO and the second BRSO recording on the Audite label. But that's me, about as odd as they come! Har! har! ;)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: If it's the 1954 recording I have that too, and nah, I prefer the Maestro's first recording with the BRSO to the VPO and the second BRSO recording on the Audite label. But that's me, about as odd as they come! Har! har! ;)
You are most likely correct about the 1954 VPO recording Seán; I just don't recall it at all. I remember that you are very keen on the DG BRSO cycle, as are most people. I think that I am the odd one out here.
fergus

Post by fergus »

First listen to Janacek's The Cunning Little Vixen....

....and I quite liked it.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

<If it's the 1954 recording I have that too, and nah, I prefer the Maestro's first recording with the BRSO to the VPO and the second BRSO recording on the Audite label. But that's me, about as odd as they come! Har! har! ;)>

I prefer both BRSO recordings to the VPO, but the Audite is probably my favorite of the 3, such characterful playing!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:First listen to Janacek's The Cunning Little Vixen....

I love Janacek operas so much Fergus! But I have the sad feeling that unless you speak Czech, you will never grasp all their glory. Janacek tied words and music very tightly, in fact often his melodies came from the rhythms of pronunciation and forms of speech.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:First listen to Janacek's The Cunning Little Vixen....

I love Janacek operas so much Fergus! But I have the sad feeling that unless you speak Czech, you will never grasp all their glory. Janacek tied words and music very tightly, in fact often his melodies came from the rhythms of pronunciation and forms of speech.
and the GREAT Sir Charles Mackerras seems to be the man to go to for recorded perfomances of Janáček's operatic repertoire?