What are you listening two?

DonKC

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by DonKC »

Composer, conductor, pianist and teacher, Lukas Foss was a classmate and life long friend of Bernstein. His compositions are unfortunately less known, hovering on the edge of the repertoire, more discussed than performed. The Boston Modern Orchestra Project has recorded all 4 of Foss' Symphonies ranging from the tuneful, Copland-esque 1st (1944), the Bach inspired (and quite interesting) Symphony # 2 (Symphony of Chorales) 1958, a moving and touching Symphony # 3 (Symphony of Sorrows) 1991, (the 2nd movement "Elegy for Anne Frank" can be performed separately,) and an uniquely scored Symphony # 4, with a long slow first movement laced with prominent solos for percussion, accordion, Jew's harp and harmonica, from 1995.

Well played and recorded, great to see these works recorded. One of my music history instructors long ago was an advocate of Foss' music and talked often of the Symphony # 2 (back in 1977-79 when I knew Professor Ringer, the 3rd and 4th were not yet written!)

markof

Post by markof »

fergus wrote: 100% Mark. I "discovered" this ensemble earlier this year and they are quickly becoming a close second favourite choral ensemble to Gardiner's Monteverdi Choir for me.
See Recent Purchases thread for my latest aquisition.
I have put it into my queue for later on. Thanks.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

DonKC wrote:Composer, conductor, pianist and teacher, Lukas Foss was a classmate and life long friend of Bernstein. His compositions are unfortunately less known, hovering on the edge of the repertoire, more discussed than performed. The Boston Modern Orchestra Project has recorded all 4 of Foss' Symphonies ranging from the tuneful, Copland-esque 1st (1944), the Bach inspired (and quite interesting) Symphony # 2 (Symphony of Chorales) 1958, a moving and touching Symphony # 3 (Symphony of Sorrows) 1991, (the 2nd movement "Elegy for Anne Frank" can be performed separately,) and an uniquely scored Symphony # 4, with a long slow first movement laced with prominent solos for percussion, accordion, Jew's harp and harmonica, from 1995.

Well played and recorded, great to see these works recorded. One of my music history instructors long ago was an advocate of Foss' music and talked often of the Symphony # 2 (back in 1977-79 when I knew Professor Ringer, the 3rd and 4th were not yet written!)

I know absolutely nothing of Lukas Foss Don. Thank you for the information.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
markof

Post by markof »

Still on the choral jag - a lovely album too.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

Very fine versions of two wonderful works.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

I do like the Amadeus Quartet

And boy do I LOVE this:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 2

Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
Bavarian Radio Choir
Edith Mathis Soprano
Norma Proctor Contralto
Rafael Kubelik conductor

This performance with the Bavarian Orchestra and choir couldn't possibly be more different from the earlier Klemperer recording. It is a superb.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:
I know absolutely nothing of Lukas Foss Don. Thank you for the information.
Quite welcome Fergus. You and all the members of this forum have introduced me to lots of new repertoire and performances as well.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Leonard Bernstein died 25 years ago today (October 14, 1990.) I remember hearing the announcement on the local classical music station and they played his compositions and recordings all day. In my opinion, this is one of his finest recordings:

Beethoven String Quartets op. 131 and op.135
Strings of the Vienna Philharmonic
DGG

Both live recordings 131 9/1977, 135 9/1989
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This is depressing. One of the greatest singers of the day caught in such poor sound that you might think that she was not at all at Wigmore Hall but in a flat 2 blocks away.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

But on the other hand this is a joy. Exquisite Caldara arias with various instrument obligatos. Sabadus sings superbly, with flawless taste, the arias are very well chosen for a recital, and Nuovo Aspetto plays splendidly. Super enjoyable.