Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:......at the same time, as you've said so many times yourself, don't encourage me lol!

It is OK Dermot...we know that you are mad!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:......at the same time, as you've said so many times yourself, don't encourage me lol!

It is OK Dermot...we know that you are mad!!!
Lol :)
markof

Post by markof »

John Kelly's been rummaging in my library again :-).
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

Dermot [Cybot] introduced me to the music of Johann Johannsson some time ago and anything that I have bought or heard of him I really like. I must increase my collection.
markof

Post by markof »

fergus wrote:
markof wrote:Image

Dermot [Cybot] introduced me to the music of Johann Johannsson some time ago and anything that I have bought or heard of him I really like. I must increase my collection.
Hi Fergus
The album has a really epic tone. Lovely mix of individual instruments in counterpoint with orchestral lines. Similar in structure to soundtrack music such as Inception or some of Michael Nyman's work.
By the way, the story of Ford's failed Fordlandia venture is very interesting. There's a good article on Wikipedia about it.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote: Hi Fergus
The album has a really epic tone. Lovely mix of individual instruments in counterpoint with orchestral lines. Similar in structure to soundtrack music such as Inception or some of Michael Nyman's work.
By the way, the story of Ford's failed Fordlandia venture is very interesting. There's a good article on Wikipedia about it.
Mark
Thank you for both of those pointers Mark; I will check them both out further.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus

Post by Claus »

Richard Dawson continues to impress. See him live if you can!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:Image

Richard Dawson continues to impress. See him live if you can!
He's been on my radar a while now. I remember being impressed by some of his quirky lyrics. Not sure about the rest but I haven't really listened in earnest. I will now! Thanks for the heads up Claus....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Listening to this latest edition of the Xerrox series from Alva Noto. We're into Vol. 3 now which is themed towards Space. Vol. 1 & 2 were dedicated to the old and new world respectively. Absolutely gorgeous.....

https://soundcloud.com/rasternoton/alva ... errox-vol3

raster noton site:

ALVA NOTO
XERROX VOL. 3

after a break of 5 years, alva noto continues his xerrox series with »xerrox vol. 3«, entitled "towards space", a journey that started with »xerrox vol. 1«, referring to the "old world", and »xerrox vol. 2«, heading "to the new world".

using the process of copying as a basis, the xerrox series deals with the manipulation of data by means of endless reproduction. due to the inherent vice of the procedure that becomes especially visible when copies are made from copies, everyday sounds are so much altered that they can be hardly associated with the source material anymore. as a result, entirely new sounds are created that, being copies of originals, become originals themselves.

on »xerrox vol. 3«, a new aspect enters the scene. inspired by childhood film memories from the 1970s including tarkovsky‘s adaption of "solaris" and "la isla misteriosa y el capitán nemo" based on jules verne‘s "the mysterious island", the record shows alva noto‘s private side. with its very intimate atmosphere, it is a personal reflection of dreams, an imaginary journey through emotional landscapes or, as he himself puts it, a "cinematographic emotion of a soundtrack to a film that actually does not exist in reality."

alvo noto himself further states, "I see »xerrox vol. 3« as my most personal album so far. I have to admit that this emotional output is a surprise even for myself. it remains exciting how the last two albums of this series will sound like."

Customer review:

First half is just gorgeous. Not that the other half is shabby. It is just different movement. Very themed. Should have broken in two symphony, starting with Allegro and ending with presto. Yes, indeed it is that good. Mr Alva Noto knows his music . Not just few notes put together. There is deep thinking here. One of his best!