What DACs (if any) are you using with your Squeezebox?

Sloop John B

What DACs (if any) are you using with your Squeezebox?

Post by Sloop John B »

the title says it all really.

I'm quite pleased with the sounds coming from a SBT attached to my main Naim system, through its analogue output using a Chord Indigo I had lying around.

In this hobby though thoughts go to upgrading with a DAC. I have done a bit of googling and many seem to get a benefit from power supplies however the fact that my Naim system is on a dedicated spur and the SBT not, seems to protect me from the nasties the SBT power switch can add to the mix.

It strikes me if I get a DAC and switch off the analogue circuit with Triode's plug-in I may have quite an impressive streamer. Any experience of this in the Borg mini-collective that is the Tir na Hifi forum?

SJB
Fran
Site Admin

Re: What DACs (if any) are you using with your Squeezebox?

Post by Fran »

I used mine with a few - but all DIY so not much good to you maybe. I got good gains (this was with a regular SB though) and thought it worth while.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I use mine as follows:

Digital out -> digital input of Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player. The Opus is my system 'volume control' as the output goes to a pair of monobloks. Never used the analogue outputs so cannot comment if there are gains from using the Opus digital input.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

my setup:

Custom Linear PSU -> Squeezebox Touch (+TT3) -> DACMagic (with custom linear PSU) -> KT88 Amp
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

I've been using a Beresford Bushmaster with my Squeezebox Touch for about a year, with very good results. I tried the SBooster upgrade for the DAC, but it actually made it sound worse, to my ears. Biggest improvement to the Touch was replacing the wall wart with a linear power supply. The combination of Touch + power supply + DAC outperformed my Linn Ikemi CDP, at less than a quarter of the price.

Ken