Loving Miss Hatto

Diapason

Loving Miss Hatto

Post by Diapason »

Did anyone else see this on the BBC over Christmas? I recorded it at the time but only just got to watch it. It's a pretty good story (I remember all the excitement about her discs at the time) and as an added bonus it was all shot in Dublin. Seeing the inside of kid NCH used as a proxy for the Royal Festival Hall was funny.

So, anyone own any "Hatto" discs?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Re: Loving Miss Hatto

Post by Jared »

I'm sorry Simon... this one has passed me by.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

It was interesting to see the Dublin locations... TCD Exam Hall for her audition, but I didn't really like it and switched off about half-way through, even though I was fascinated by the Hatto scandal at the time. Gramophone reviews were so glowing that I was thinking about getting some of her CDs, though I found the story odd, and the fact that her repertoire was so much bigger than that of any pianist I'd ever heard of made me wonder if it could be possible.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I also remember thinking at the time that it was very odd for her to have such a wide repertoire, and even if she did, surely she couldn't be brilliant at everything. Fascinating story indeed.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

I listened the heck out of an old LP while a teen, one my parents had. It was George Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue and American in Paris with the (obvious recording orchestra) New York Symphonica conducted by George Byrd. I remember the album because it made a big deal of Mr. Byrd being "the most celebrated colored conductor in the USA". The album was lost in a flooded basement years ago, but when I tried to find some information on it, turns out it was the real Joyce Hatto on the piano. I am trying to find a copy.

I paid a good sum for Concert Artist CACD Godowsky Chopin Etudes Studies after a glowing review. They were part Marc-Andre Hamelin, part Ian Hobson and perhaps another pianist or two. I still have it somewhere...
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:I listened the heck out of an old LP while a teen, one my parents had. It was George Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue and American in Paris with the (obvious recording orchestra) New York Symphonica conducted by George Byrd. I remember the album because it made a big deal of Mr. Byrd being "the most celebrated colored conductor in the USA". The album was lost in a flooded basement years ago, but when I tried to find some information on it, turns out it was the real Joyce Hatto on the piano. I am trying to find a copy.

I paid a good sum for Concert Artist CACD Godowsky Chopin Etudes Studies after a glowing review. They were part Marc-Andre Hamelin, part Ian Hobson and perhaps another pianist or two. I still have it somewhere...
Hi Donald(opato) and a big warm welcome to Tír Na HiFi.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Thank you Seán, I see some familiar names and interesting topics. Yes, I was "Donaldopato" on some other forums for those curious.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DonKC wrote:Thank you Seán, I see some familiar names and interesting topics. Yes, I was "Donaldopato" on some other forums for those curious.
Welcome Don
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you, Don, and welcome indeed!

I'd be interested to know what you thought of the Godowsky etudes disc before finding out the truth. Was it convincing?
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

It is said these are among the most difficult piano pieces around. Hamelin's and Hobson's playing was phenomenal for sure. I am not the biggest authority on Chopin's piano music and it would help to know them to appreciate what Godowsky did to the etudes. Hamelin does the whole 50-some, Hobson (who I used to sell LPs to when I worked at a record shop in Urbana, IL where he has taught for years) does a selection of 20 or so.

If Hatto's hubby had done just this disc in tribute to his wife, he might have gotten away with it. But a sick, dying pianist brilliantly recording 90% of the most difficult repertoire stretched it to the limit. Fascinating story

Hamelin on Hyperion is worth a listen for some amazing pianism. Hobson seems to be OOP.