Cartridge wanted - what's out there?

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Tweedle12

Cartridge wanted - what's out there?

Post by Tweedle12 »

I am looking for a good cartridge for my LP12/Ittok that has a well worn Linn Karma at present. I may get the Karma retipped, but wanted to see what decent cartridges with low miles might be out there. I'm open to suggestions and the ideal scenario would be a swap as I have spare everything (literally) in my hifi 'collection'. So if you've someting suitable ging spare, I'd be delighted to hear from you and we could discuss the possibility of a swap or perhaps a straight deal at a push.

I'm not limiting this to MC only as a good MM may do me very well, but my Rotel Michi phonostage can handle pretty much anything.

Many thanks,
TD
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Cartridge wanted - what's out there?

Post by Fran »

For what its worth, I think you're better off trading in and getting a new cart rather than retipping. I think cart design has moved on a fair bit in recent years.

I have a benz wood SL and a Zyx R50 - both of which I like a lot. I feel the benz edges out the Zyx, but not by much. I heard a Kontrapunkt a while back and was very impressed too.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Modest

Post by Modest »

I think best cart for tik tok (ittok) would be Linn Adikt it's MM.. the sound is beyond it's price and very good match for your arm another one could be http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html ... for retipping better buy Linn Klyde or Linn Troika (http://www.78tours.com/Expert_Stylus_Company.htm ) does very good job on Linn carts and not only .... only my two cents :)
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
naasbiker

Post by naasbiker »

going by some other forums, the Ittok and Karma was never a good match. Since the Karma have not been manafactured in over 20 years and soundwise, catridges have improved a lot in this time, I would not bother re-tipping it. If on a budget go for a Denon DL304

LP12 / Lingo / Circus / Ittok / / DL304 / Lehmann Cube Phono Amp
Linn LP12, Ittok, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Arion Audio 300B, Living Voice Auditorium
mick

Post by mick »

I have a LP12 and Ittok. I have used a Sumiko BP special and a Clearaudio Maestro. I now use a Ortofon 2M Black mm. I find it an excellent cartridge. It is neutral and even across the frequency spectrum. It is powerful with a 3 dimensional soundstage. It also has a user replaceable stylus which is a nice touch in a top class cartridge.
Tweedle12

Post by Tweedle12 »

Thanks to all for some sound advice - much appreciated. Any of the suggestions would work wonderfully, I'm sure. I'll keep an eye out.

Incidentally, anyone with experience about Dynavector 17D2 or 17D3?

TD