Your 2013 Listening Pledge

Jared

Your 2013 Listening Pledge

Post by Jared »

Ok, I've been bit naughty and raided my annual thread from the 'other place', to have a read through and see how I did this year, in terms of becoming acquainted with new music, and I don't think I did all that badly to be fair... I have highlighted in blue, all the music I did get around to introducing myeslf to:

Jared's 2012 Pledge:

Orchestral:

Haydn: Symphonies: 'Sturm Und Drang'
Suk: Azrael Symphony
Nielsen: Concertos & Overtures

Chamber:

Schubert: Complete Trios
Dvorak: String Quartets (have identified a set, but have been waiting for price to come down)
Beethoven: String Trios (no excuses; they are up very soon!)

Instrumental:

Mozart: Piano Sonatas
Schubert: Piano Sonatas (box set just purchased, see RP thread)
Brahms: Piano Works

Choral/ Opera:

Britten: War Requiem (next up! Britten is a Jan project, to coincide with his anniversary)
Bach: Oodles of Cantatas (gulp!)
Berlioz: Requiem/ Te Deum

Vocal:

Schubert: Winterreisse/ Schwanengesang/ Die Schone Mullerin
Eton Choirbook (The Sixteen)
Tallis: Complete Works (gulp!)

This appears to leave only 4 works, which I failed to get around to, the excuses have been written in, next to them. Over the next week, I intend to roll these over into my 2013 pledge, which I can then keep an eye on, through the year.... is there anyone here who would care to join me, in doing similar?
Jared

Re: Your 2013 Listening Pledge

Post by Jared »

Jared's 2013 Pledge:

Orchestral:

Weber: Orchestral Works
Smetana: Orchestral Works (other than Ma Vlast!)
Hummel: Piano & other Concertos

Chamber:

Grieg: Complete Chamber Works
Dvorak: String Quartets
Beethoven: String Trios, Octet, Wind Sextet & Oboe Quintet

Instrumental:

Britten: Cello Suites
Schubert: Piano Sonatas
Chopin: Etudes/ Mazurkas/ Polonaises

Choral:

Britten: War Requiem & other Choral works
Handel: a few more Oratorios
Rossini: Messe Solonnelle/ di Gloria

Vocal & Opera:

Schumann & Brahms: more Lieder explorations
R. Strauss: Some Opera; I have my eye on Capriccio & Electra Blu Rays
Tallis Scholars: Continue to build my library with some of their performances by lesser known composers

Well, this is my list for 2013, concerning some of the ways I would like to expand my library over the coming months. Of course this year, I was massively side-tracked with the 22CD box set of Haydn SQs, 11CD box of Schubert Choral Works, at least 7CDs of John Taverner, another box set of Mozart's Piano Concertos and about 20 Opera Blu Rays into the bargain... otherwise, I would have fulfilled my 2012 remit, with time to spare! Hey ho...

How will you be expanding and filling holes in your collections during 2013???
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: How will you be expanding and filling holes in your collections during 2013???

Hopefully I will not be making any significant purchases in 2013 as I have spent a considerable amount of money in 2012. I need to consolidate and organize my collection. I am currently converting my attic and endeavouring to make it into a listening/storage space for all things musical so 2013 will keep me busy in that regard. I intend to move a fair chunk of my equipment and my entire collection up there when it is completed. It will of course take some time yet to finish but I will then need to sort out all of my CDs and LPs as they are all over the place at the moment. That will be my music project for 2013 LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote: How will you be expanding and filling holes in your collections during 2013???
Gaps in my collection? Ooooh, where do I start? Well Bach, for a start. I want to delve deeper into his music. Brahms piano music. Richard Strauss music, my collection is severely lacking, I'm afraid. The Talich SQ Beethoven cycle is available now too.

I will not buy many recordings in 2013 and will continue to explore and enjoy my existing collection as I still have many recordings that require my attention.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Wow, that's an impressive list! I have no plans other than to try to listen to more romantic orchestral music, as that has been a bit of a blind spot for me. I've loads of music bought and not yet listened to...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Wow, that's an impressive list! I have no plans other than to try to listen to more romantic orchestral music, as that has been a bit of a blind spot for me. I've loads of music bought and not yet listened to...
Thanks Simon, I started it a few years ago, in an attempt to create myself key achievable goals across all the major types of repertoire. When I started out listening, like many people I concentrated on orchestral music, from a small handfull of composers, and this was a fun way of balancing the collection and measuring my progress. Maybe I'm getting a little beyond this stage now, but I still think it's a fun thing to do.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Recent posts have just reminded me of another thing: I need to get back to solo piano music. Once upon a time I listened to so much piano, now hardly ever. At least it's an easy one to fix.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Oh I shouldn't Jared but as you have been good enough to ask I will do so.

Seán's concentrated listening Pledge in 2013:

Orchestral:
Haydn: Symphonies: 1 - 104 (listen to all of them in 2013)

Instrumental:
Schubert: Piano Sonatas (overdue a spell of concentrated listening)
Brahms: Piano Works (must get the Rubenstein set)

Choral:
Bach: Sacred music (as much as possible, it's bound to sink in eventually)

Vocal:
Schubert: Winterreisse et al
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote:Recent posts have just reminded me of another thing: I need to get back to solo piano music. Once upon a time I listened to so much piano, now hardly ever. At least it's an easy one to fix.
John O'Conor perhaps?
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well, I have one John O'Conor Beethoven disc still in the wrapper that I bought during that summer, so after nearly 16 years it might be time to open it!