System Reboot

DaveF

System Reboot

Post by DaveF »

For the past year as documentated over on the Adventures in Amplification thread I've been trying to get the right hifi sound, a task that has put me through complete hell and back.
It began with the arrival of the ATM2 and Kharmas and you know the rest. No matter what I tried I just couldnt get a sound that felt right to me, a sound that needed to deliver for my very broad taste in music and let my listen for hours on end.

The last update over on that thread was when I had the Kharma monos and pre in the system. Now this was the best pairing of speaker and amps to date and I gave it high praise at the time. But you need to live with a component(s) for a number of weeks and over those weeks I began to feel far from satisfied. I made the decision then that perhaps the Kharma sound just wasnt for me. I think I gave it a fair go given the sheer number of amp/sources that came through the door but after all that I still couldnt get things to sound right for me. Turns out then that I had to return the Kharma monos anyway as they didnt belong to Cloney. This was the prefect opportunity for a system reboot!

I felt that a highly accurate and dynamic speaker is what I needed to avoid and instead a more broad-brush type of sound was what I ought to be looking for. My previous Usher/Gamut combo had that sort of sound and it is by far the most satisfying system I've owned so far. Doing the research, several names came up including Harbeth, Spendor and Sonus Faber. I had some familiarity with the SF sound and trawling the interweb for opinions I began to set my mind on these.

I put my Kharmas up for sale last week, not really expecting much but as luck would have it I was contacted by someone who was very very interested in my Kharmas. Even better was that he had a pair of Sonus Faber floorstanders, the older non-M model which some prefer to the newer M models. So a swap was done to see what we both thought of the sounds and I'm delighted to say that both of us are really happy with each others speakers.

The Cremonas have that lovely lush broad-stroke type of sound in spades and even though its early days yet I really think I'm finally there now. Honest! :-)
This morning I took home a pair of Classe CAM350 mono blocs and a Classe's CP-800 pre on trial for a week or two. These SF's are reasonably difficult to drive so I thought that a pair of big ass SS monos should do the trick. I shyed away from valves as I think the SF's have enough softness, richness and musicallity already so no need really to soften things more with valves. Perhaps a valve pre at some point down the line.

A few grainy pics from my phone.....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Re: System Reboot

Post by Fran »

I've heard a gamut with those (I think those anyway) and it sounded very good indeed. I'd say they like good ss power alright.

Best of luck with the move!
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Best of luck Dave with the next move. I have Spendor A6's and love them. I would change if the money was available.Would love to try the Spendor ST's. And lo and behold there is a pair for sale secondhand in cloneys. Another forum lad (would have to check back to get the name) has them with the Lavardin IT15. Would be a shame not to at least try out the spendors as they would be very rare secondhand in Ireland.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I had a listen to the Spendor STs yesterday Tony along with Harbeths and the small Sonus Faber standmounts. I prefered the SF's out of the bunch but I'm far more statisfied with the older SF floorstanders that I now have at home.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Incremental change wasn't working for you , so clearing the decks seems like a logical next move. Sounds promising!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'm going to wait a few months before wishing you well with your new system ;)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Ivor wrote:I'm going to wait a few months before wishing you well with your new system ;)
I would second that but stranger things have happened. If you are really stuck Dave you can try out my cyrus 8xp. It would really brighten up the sf's.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

:-) honestly lads, this time I've got it right!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

tony wrote:I would second that but stranger things have happened. If you are really stuck Dave you can try out my cyrus 8xp. It would really brighten up the sf's.
oh great, brightness! Just what I'm missing!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Those monos look amazing! It's funny what you said about having eclectic taste in music and trying to get a system to gel with such abroad spectrum of music/sounds. I had exactly the same problem as yours and it was a nightmare trying to get the sound I wanted. Happily it only took a full (!!) year of demoing to get it sorted. Anyway after that year I swore I would never ever tamper in any way with the basic system setup and just leave it as it is. That was back in '94! Anyway Dave enjoy the nearly-end of the journey :)