Phono Pre Amp and Cartridge question

Smashey

Phono Pre Amp and Cartridge question

Post by Smashey »

Hello Forum

Great to see a resource like this available again!

I'm looking for some advice regarding Phono Pre amp and Cartridge.

My Old system - mostly passed onto pastures new - Was GyroDec, SME IV, vartiety of Carts - but prefered Good Quality MM to low cost MC, running into a Quad 34/405 II, B&W DM1600 speakers

My New system centres around Cyrus, and the GyroDec - after 23 years service - is back with Michell's getting upgraded to latest spec. Spendor A5's now grace the listening room.

Having already gone over budget I'm looking for a good entry level Phono stage and Cart. The Pro-Ject II seems to be well reviewed, as does the Cambridge Audio 640P. Cloneys has an old Musical Fidelity X-LPS (coke Can style) for €100 as well.

I've always liked the Ortofon Sound, and may have to make do with my well worn favourite M20FL Super to be going on with but am impressed with the universal thumbs up the 2M Blue has received.

I'd be trying to keep the budget sub €300 euros to start with, but also looking for upgrade options. On the 2M front for example, the body for the "Blue" doesn't seem to be the same as the on used on the Bronze or the Black (which I'd love to try). Should I be looking elsewhere?

I'm aware that perhaps the GyroDec and SME are a bit of overkill for the MM types, and I should really be spending €500+ on a cart alone to get the best out of the system but for now at least the moneys gone elswhere

Your views on these and any other options most welcome
JAW

Re: Phono Pre Amp and Cartridge question

Post by JAW »

I bought an Ortofon Tango from Cloneys' about a year ago, and was very happy with it. I was using it on a Rega RB300 on a Rega 3. That was about €170, and with the Musical Fidelity from Cloney you'ld be coming away with enough change for a couple of bottles of wine to enjoy as you appreciate the system!
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

JAW wrote:I bought an Ortofon Tango from Cloneys' about a year ago, and was very happy with it. I was using it on a Rega RB300 on a Rega 3. That was about €170, and with the Musical Fidelity from Cloney you'ld be coming away with enough change for a couple of bottles of wine to enjoy as you appreciate the system!
see now JAW, there is a man after my own heart.....

I'm convinced a few (an irish few the odd time) glasses of whatever's your fancy is a superior upgrade that any cable or 250 euro squash ball

good luck with the TT smashey...

personally I am avoiding vinyl like the plague, cause it would ruin me....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

jaybee wrote:personally I am avoiding vinyl like the plague, cause it would ruin me....
I'm on the edge of that slippery slope right now, slightly hesitant to take the first step.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Smashey

Post by Smashey »

DaveF wrote:I'm on the edge of that slippery slope right now, slightly hesitant to take the first step.
Hello Dave

I know what you're thinking. "Did he play six tracks or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a DMM 240gram Audiophile re-issue, the most expensive vinyl in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

There was a quote in the current edition of Stereophile... "the best way to enjoy digital is to never hear vinyl" (or something close to that).
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Ivor wrote:There was a quote in the current edition of Stereophile... "the best way to enjoy digital is to never hear vinyl" (or something close to that).
I enjoyed their review of the pro-ject TT as well, he never once compared it negatively to the esoteric stuff, only noted what your extra dollars bought you....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....